Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping The Lense Clean

HCH

How do you guys keep the lense clean on a CMORE? I have a G17 with the SJC 5 port comp that smokes the lense pretty bad. I have tried eyeglass wipes and that helped a little. I've been using windex and q tips too, which is better but not great. Any ideas?

During a match I carry the little alcohol wipes for eyeglasses in my range bag.  Every 3-4 stages it gets wiped.  When home CLR on a Q-tip works great.  I haven't tried to coat my lens with anything.  Rain-X would be something I might try but not need yet.

1 hour ago, orangeman711 said:

Talked to C-More about this a couple of months ago and they said to use Hoppes and then wipe with a clean rag.

After reading the previous comments I got to digging through my cleaning supplies. I had some hoppes and figured WTH, I'll try it. 

It cleaned up the tough spots easily. 

Spray with a prescription glasses lens cleaner and clean with a lens pen. The cleaner helps the build up come off easier and the lens pen is the easiest thing I've found for the lens shapes we use on Open guns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2021 at 10:05 AM, lacivilian said:

Spray with a prescription glasses lens cleaner and clean with a lens pen. The cleaner helps the build up come off easier and the lens pen is the easiest thing I've found for the lens shapes we use on Open guns.

I use those special qtips that have the fine point.

https://www.amazon.com/Pointed-Cotton-Double-Precision-Makeup/dp/B07Q4RW17G/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=amazon+cotton+swabs+pointed+tip&qid=1617115068&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFPUE9aWTdZOVpGQk0mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1ODU0ODczTVkzOUFVWVlOSEVJJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAwNjE5MTczTFJPNjJMV05HWkwyJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

When I had a shorty I carried the lens wipes that they sell at the grocery store, you know 100 or so for $3.00, and cleaned my  lens after every stage.  Sold the shorty still carry the wipes, just go more stages between cleaning.  AA7 caused more debris than Silhouette.  My glock open gun gets dirty just about the same as the STI's.  I don't waste any energy cleaning any thing other than the center of the lens.  After more than a decade of using the wipes the lens are still clear.  If I were to pull out a Qtip my friends would call me OCD.  I'm a fan of rainX on my truck windshield, but I use those 20 for $1.00 shower caps when shooting a match in the rain, just pull it off at make ready.