Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To: Faster Reaction to THE BEEP

Video of a presentation that explains the IPSC technique on how to speed up your reaction time (cognitive: hearing the beep) and response (mechanical: drawing the gun) to the shot timer's "BEEP", in order to start sooner and shave off .15" to .1" per stage. This video is primarily meant for intermediate/advanced shooters. Let me know in the Comments below if and how you use this or another technique, or why not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPG434-ZHrI

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, LordManHammer said:

Does the time start at the beginning of the beep or the end of the beep?

Most start at the beginning but I think I know one which start at the end of the beep, the R U Ready timer. 

Yes, I have analysed video of my Speed Timer 3000 (measuring times on the audio track in Audacity), the measured time is typically 0.2 seconds lower than other timers (the beep is 0.2 seconds long).  It only starts counting at the end of the beep.  This also goes for par time measurements - add 0.2 seconds to your par time to get actual.

If you are trying to measure reaction time (e.g. start with sight picture and trigger prepped), and can execute in less than 0.2 seconds, the timer does not pick up the shot.

Edited by zs6hdv

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2021 at 8:45 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

Video of a presentation that explains the IPSC technique on how to speed up your reaction time (cognitive: hearing the beep) and response (mechanical: drawing the gun) to the shot timer's "BEEP", in order to start sooner and shave off .15" to .1" per stage. This video is primarily meant for intermediate/advanced shooters. Let me know in the Comments below if and how you use this or another technique, or why not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPG434-ZHrI

I found your post through a search for 'Reaction Times'...  The video is very helpful...  Especially for Steel Challenge shooters where the cadence for multiple strings is fixed.

The author also has many interesting posts...  Thanks for the link!

Very interesting concept.  I've been working on watching the RO and trying to figure out when they hit the start signal.  Fortunately I haven't started before  the beep but I'm getting close to hitting the magic mark.  Lots of practice.

7 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I found your post through a search for 'Reaction Times'...  The video is very helpful...  Especially for Steel Challenge shooters where the cadence for multiple strings is fixed.

The author also has many interesting posts...  Thanks for the link!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Very interesting concept.  I've been working on watching the RO and trying to figure out when they hit the start signal.  Fortunately I haven't started before  the beep but I'm getting close to hitting the magic mark.  Lots of practice.

Stay persistent!