Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with brass not extracting and staying in chamber. (Might have found issue)


Recommended Posts

Anyone ever had this issue? My 2011 9mm has randomly not been extracting the brass. The brass is actually staying in the chamber. Today it happened on 4 of the 6 stages of a USPSA match. I was actually able to eject the mag, shake the gun enough and the case would then fall out. On a couple of practice sessions, it would be so tight that I had to get a tool to pry it out. I originally thought my brass was expanding too much due to reloading it too many times, but it is doing it with once loaded brass as well. Thanks for any info.

Edited by BLUEPSTU
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to narrow down the problem between failure to extract, or failure to eject... Not the same thing. Sounds like you have a failure to extract issue, not a failure to eject..
A failure to eject would tend to get the next round jammed up in the brass, or the classic stovepipe issue.

 

Failure to extract is generally cause by a bad or improperly adjusted extractor.

You didnt mention caliber, but this can happen with a 38super gun shooting major PF 38 super comp

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BLUEPSTU changed the title to Problem with brass not extracting and staying in chamber.
31 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

You need to narrow down the problem between failure to extract, or failure to eject... Not the same thing. Sounds like you have a failure to extract issue, not a failure to eject..
A failure to eject would tend to get the next round jammed up in the brass, or the classic stovepipe issue.

 

Failure to extract is generally cause by a bad or improperly adjusted extractor.

You didnt mention caliber, but this can happen with a 38super gun shooting major PF 38 super comp

Corrected title and listed it is 9mm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you check your extractor yet? Check the tension, for any excess movement, etc. If it's loose and slipping, could explain the erratic failure to extract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The classic question is did the hammer cock? If it did it could be the ejector, and the slide just shoved it back in. I have one gun that does that if I try to run minor, but then I just rack it out, the front of the AFTEC is slanted in combination with a 9#or10# recoil it recaptures the rim.  (my Minor is about 145-150pf)

 

The ultimate solution is the AFTEC extractor.  If you want a real stuck spent round, load up one of those looks like brass but steel cases, the AFTEC tore the rim but the non-brass had to be driven out with a hammer and a rod.  I check all 9 mm cases with a magnet.

 

I went to AFTEC on 3 open guns, all have run for many years, when the slides cracked I just moved the AFTEC to the new slides, yes 2 of the 3 cracked from many 1,000s of rounds.   About every 1000 rounds you have to break it down and clean the extractor tunnel.  

 

You won't miss all that time at the safe table trying to bend the extractor to get the right tension. 

 

I started shooting 9 major in 2008, having moved from 38SC, which I reloaded those cases till they split.  It wasn't long till I learned that 9 major puts a lot of stress on cases and if you want reliable performance load once and let it go.  I pickup brass at steel matches, they shoot minor there, with lots of noobs there is plenty of brass.  If it doesn't fall into and out of the drop check it goes in the practice bucket, after I run it thru the case pro if it fails a second time.  That round where just a little of the rim sticks up, that is the one that will get you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BLUEPSTU changed the title to Problem with brass not extracting and staying in chamber. (Might have found issue)

I have never cleaned the extractor and have about 7,000 rounds through the gun. Don't know how often I should clean it but will check it more often. Here are the Q-tips and carbon deposits below the Q-tips after cleaning out the extractor. Couldn't believe how filthy it is. Of course the true test will be firing it.

 

dirty.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CocoBolo said:

The classic question is did the hammer cock? If it did it could be the ejector, and the slide just shoved it back in. I have one gun that does that if I try to run minor, but then I just rack it out, the front of the AFTEC is slanted in combination with a 9#or10# recoil it recaptures the rim.  (my Minor is about 145-150pf)

 

The ultimate solution is the AFTEC extractor.  If you want a real stuck spent round, load up one of those looks like brass but steel cases, the AFTEC tore the rim but the non-brass had to be driven out with a hammer and a rod.  I check all 9 mm cases with a magnet.

 

I went to AFTEC on 3 open guns, all have run for many years, when the slides cracked I just moved the AFTEC to the new slides, yes 2 of the 3 cracked from many 1,000s of rounds.   About every 1000 rounds you have to break it down and clean the extractor tunnel.  

 

You won't miss all that time at the safe table trying to bend the extractor to get the right tension. 

 

I started shooting 9 major in 2008, having moved from 38SC, which I reloaded those cases till they split.  It wasn't long till I learned that 9 major puts a lot of stress on cases and if you want reliable performance load once and let it go.  I pickup brass at steel matches, they shoot minor there, with lots of noobs there is plenty of brass.  If it doesn't fall into and out of the drop check it goes in the practice bucket, after I run it thru the case pro if it fails a second time.  That round where just a little of the rim sticks up, that is the one that will get you.

My gun actually has the aftec. I posted pics above where I had never cleaned the extractor chamber. Hopefully that solved the problem. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

My gun actually has the aftec. I posted pics above where I had never cleaned the extractor chamber. Hopefully that solved the problem. Thanks!

You may want t consider changing the springs while you are at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...