Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

metal form made 10 round 40 mags with the spacer in rear. They were longer than standard but not as long as the 10 round 45.

Used to be a different mag length rule based on if it was a double or single stack mag.

The only ones I've found are the Tripp 10 round 10/40 mags. I reload long so the 10mm magazines are the only ones that work for me.  

If your debating on buying them, I would definitely recommend them.  They have worked with no issues.  I'm going to buy more as soon as they're back in stock at Dawson Precision.

Yep, want them for single stack USPSA, I will be loading long, so the 10mm mags will work. I have nothing against Tripp, just never used them. I kind of like sticking with what I know and have been using Chip McCormick with no issues. Guess I will get in line to order some Tripp.

Best part of the Tripp magazines is the customer support. When you contact them you are speaking directly to the owner.  

You can't go wrong with them.

2 hours ago, ramnj said:

Best part of the Tripp magazines is the customer support. When you contact them you are speaking directly to the owner.  

You can't go wrong with them.

Could not agree more.

Trip 10 round mags didnt work in my SS 40, nosedives...  But as others said, Tripp 1 offered to tune my gun or take them back.
As my gun worked fine with extended 10 rounders and 9 round metalforms 10mm mags, I passed on the tuning and returned them. I also figured out in IDPA at the time I was better off with 9 round mags anyways,

I will definitely look into those. I was sitting around this weekend and wondering? 40 will go in a 45 mag? Function is another story, haven't made up my mind on trying it tho. 

3 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I will definitely look into those. I was sitting around this weekend and wondering? 40 will go in a 45 mag? Function is another story, haven't made up my mind on trying it tho. 

Yes. Adjust the feed lips. 
I was in WA when my custom made .40 came in.  All I had at the time we .45 mags; Wilson and CM.  I adjusted the feed lips.  Shot several matches with no failures. 

I was playing around with my new 40, so in went a 45 mag, fed the dummy rounds no problem. I will be at the range this weekend, and I'll definitely give it a try.

If using Tripp 10 round 10mm, they used to offer to front the base pad so they fit the USPSA box. +1 for Tripp customer service. 

I use the Tripp 10 rounders for shooting 40 minor. I had some issues out of the gate with my Bul Armory 1911, which is tuned for factory length 40 vs long loaded 40 unlike most 40 1911s and 2011s. The Tripp 10 rounders being 10mm magazines without the 40 S&W spacer are obviously tuned for long loaded 40. I was getting nose dives always on the 1st round and sometimes on the 2nd round. The fix for me was to switch my bullet away from the Berrys plated that I was using to a longer cone profile. The Berrys were hitting the ramp right on the edge of the nose. For minor I now shoot 140gr Brass Monkey Bullets, which are very similar to the 140gr Falcon Bullets. I've had zero nose dives since then. 

For 40 major I use the 8 round Metalforms exclusively. I could use the Tripp 10 rounders, but I like having dedicated mags for minor vs major.

Edited by pealandco

Tripp is the ONLY game in town(that I have found), so I guess it's the way to go. I'm going to try the 45 mags this weekend, would be nice if they work. This is a brand new pistol to me, checked the barrel with both standard length, and long loaded, no problems there. Aircooled6racer, did you modify your 45 mags for function with the long 40's?

I will get some more mags for this pistol, 10mm, I also like dedicated mags for a pistol.

Nobody has mentioned it, so thought I'd follow up with this:  If you're shooting USPSA Single Stack major, you are limited to 8 rounds after the beep.  10 round mags only really make sense if you're shooting Single Stack minor.

Also, if you get the Tripp System mags, get the 10mm ones, not the 40 S&W ones.  

I just checked the latest rules.. Still have the single stack mag length rules. You dont need to fit a box and can use 170mm mags. Get the extended metal forms. THEY WORK,,, no fancy springs no tuning no nothing. Run well for up to 1.150..

Used em in HI for 3 years with american eagle 165 gr factory ammo shooting standard with a SS 40.  HI was a 10 round state.

humm may have spoke to fast cant find them anymore gonna verify brand

Edited by Joe4d
16 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

I'm not shooting SS, Limited 10, other wise I'd be just fine.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:20 AM, tomjerry1 said:

Yep, want them for single stack USPSA, I will be loading long, so the 10mm mags will work. I have nothing against Tripp, just never used them. I kind of like sticking with what I know and have been using Chip McCormick with no issues. Guess I will get in line to order some Tripp.

Sorry about that.  From your post on the 12th, you said "single stack USPSA", so that's what I was going with.

If you're shooting L10, you can use 170mm mags (like @joe4d mentioned).  Wilson Combat has several 10 round mags that are popular in L10 at https://shopwilsoncombat.com/10-Round/products/372/ .  You may need to adjust the feed lips to perfect feeding, but mine have been working just fine with no adjustments at all.

My bad, I should have said L-10, I'm an Open shooter, so anything less than 29 rounds is SS, LOL. I will definitely follow up on this link to Wilson, thanks.