Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio STOCK Hammer Spring weight?

MuayThaiJJ

So I got my Gold Team 9mm upper cycling okay with a 8# RS and 15# HS, but the 22LR upper doesn't ignite still.

I put the stock HS in there, it's shorter than the 13# and 15# and it feels HEAVY. Does anyone know what the stock weight is on a Tanfo Gold Team 45acp?

I am worried it won't cycle as reliably on the 9mm upper anymore, but we'll see.

The trigger went from 2.5# to 3# pull. Not bad, feels like my 1911.

thanks!

I think they are 16 pounds from the factory (at least thats what Wolff says). If your 9mm is major you like won't notice the difference, if its minor then you  may make a small difference in function it all depends on how close to the edge your current set up is.

Edited by MikeBurgess

Works! Used stock hammer spring. Which feels much stronger than 16#. In relation to the 15# HS.
Gonna stick with stock, had to dial down recoil spring to 7# on the 9mm upper. Maybe I can break it in and ease my way back to 8# RS someday.

On 3/10/2021 at 7:29 PM, MuayThaiJJ said:

So I got my Gold Team 9mm upper cycling okay with a 8# RS and 15# HS, but the 22LR upper doesn't ignite still.

I have a 22LR conversion kit on a small frame lower. It would not fire reliably with my 15.5 PD HS. I put the stock TF HS back in with 2 coils cut off, runs the 22LR perfectly.

The 22LR conversion slide combo likes a lighter RS, but a well worn 8# from my 9MM Stock 2 ran fine.

BTW this combo is on a small poly frame TF and the HS shouldn't effect you 9MM slide combo at all.

Edited by HesedTech

1 minute ago, HesedTech said:

I have a 22LR conversion kit on a small frame lower. It would not fire reliably with my 15.5 PD HS. I put the stock TF HS back in with 2 coils cut off, runs the 22LR perfectly.

The 22LR conversion slide combo likes a lighter RS, but a well worn 8# from my 9MM Stock 2 ran fine.

BTW this combo is on a small poly frame TF and the HS shouldn't effect you 9MM slide combo at all.

My stock HS now ignites it, but makes my 9mm sluggish. I might clip 2 coils as you did. What made you clip those two coils?

thanks

Just now, MuayThaiJJ said:

What made you clip those two coils?

The stock HS on all TFs are far more than 16# and are there to ignite the hardest primers on the market. They also tend to stack (a real tightening feeling as the hammer is drawn back in DA) in DA because they are really short compared to a CZ spring. I hate that and want the lightest DA which will ignite my ammo. So by a process of elimination, cutting one coil at a time, I found two coils fired all my ammo and reduced the weight and smoothed out the DA. 

I can't guarantee 2 coils will work for you, so it's good to have a couple of stock springs to make this work. 

BTW for my competition guns I use Patriot Defense 15.5 spring. Without a doubt they are the smoothest out there. 

Oh I forgot to mention you should "polish" the spring; which is basically chucking it up in a drill and while spinning it use 1200 grit wet paper to smooth the outer sides of the spring. This really helps make the spring compress smoother in it's pocket as the hammer comes back.

Memphis Mechanic has a great video about polishing up a Tanfoglio.

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

The stock HS on all TFs are far more than 16# and are there to ignite the hardest primers on the market. They also tend to stack (a real tightening feeling as the hammer is drawn back in DA) in DA because they are really short compared to a CZ spring. I hate that and want the lightest DA which will ignite my ammo. So by a process of elimination, cutting one coil at a time, I found two coils fired all my ammo and reduced the weight and smoothed out the DA. 

I can't guarantee 2 coils will work for you, so it's good to have a couple of stock springs to make this work. 

BTW for my competition guns I use Patriot Defense 15.5 spring. Without a doubt they are the smoothest out there. 

Oh I forgot to mention you should "polish" the spring; which is basically chucking it up in a drill and while spinning it use 1200 grit wet paper to smooth the outer sides of the spring. This really helps make the spring compress smoother in it's pocket as the hammer comes back.

Memphis Mechanic has a great video about polishing up a Tanfoglio.

LOL well, I just did. Clipped 1.5 coils off and polished the exterior of the HS. Trigger pull went down to 2.5#.

I'll see if the 22LR conversion runs now, also going to try to up my RS to 8# on the 9mm upper.

thanks!