Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

single action safety

fishhunter3

I have been noticing a couple of people at the local club leaving the safety off on a loaded firearm and holstering the gun after the make ready command (this saves about a 1/10th of a sec on the draw), I do believe  this is against the rules and dumb thing to do, one of the persons in question holstered his 1911 and put a 45 round into his boot heel, and was not DQed (SO was his father) . have talked to MD but it fell on deff ears. 

Against the rules, DQ.  Maybe a ban if he argued with me.

A MD that won't control his SO is just another reason for theNever IDPAers to find fault with our sport.

I once told a SO that either the guy who swept me left or I did.

On the other foot, I once told a USPSA RO that his bellybutton holster buddy had swept me and got no response, either.

Not a DQ in IDPA. DQ in USPSA. In IDPA the correct response would be to not issue the “are you ready” command since the shooter’s equipment does not comply with the start requirements for SAO pistols. Only when the shooter wonders why I have not issued the command would I direct them to apply the safety. 

Keep in mind, this only applies to SAO pistols, or DA/SA starting cocked and locked in appropriate divisions. Striker guns with safeties are exempt.

Even worse  if they know and allow shooters to start with the safety off AFTER they have someone negligently fire the gun in the holster. So not an immediate dq but do they come down on the ro for allowing the shooter to start. And no dq for nearly shooting your foot?

14 hours ago, fishhunter3 said:

I have been noticing a couple of people at the local club leaving the safety off on a loaded firearm and holstering the gun after the make ready command (this saves about a 1/10th of a sec on the draw), I do believe  this is against the rules and dumb thing to do, one of the persons in question holstered his 1911 and put a 45 round into his boot heel, and was not DQed (SO was his father) . have talked to MD but it fell on deff ears. 

Par for the course

6 hours ago, cnote said:

where in original post was a ND mentioned, a ND is always a go home event, hopefully without injury,

" One of the persons in question holstered his 1911 and put a 45 round into his boot heel, and was not DQed (SO was his father) . have talked to MD but it fell on deff ears. "

This was part of the first post.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:14 PM, fishhunter3 said:

(this saves about a 1/10th of a sec on the draw)

just for clarity, this is 100% wrong there is ZERO time saved not putting the safety on. I just want to put this out there so nobody reads your statement and thinks there is a gain to be had by leaving the safety off. 

23 hours ago, twodownzero said:

I can't believe what I'm reading here.  I would definitely not shoot at a club that allowed people to behave like that.

I guess a ND and no DQ is so outrageous to me, I overlooked the "put into boot heal" comment ant went straight to MD and deaf ears

I cannot fathom someone shooting themself and than continuing to take place in the match.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that!! Leave the safety off, on a SA while holstering, reckless...... 

Why would someone even want to do that?!?!

No time saved, just the immanent danger of placing a hole in your own leg.

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone wants reference...

The ND is a DQ under the following rules:

• 2.2.A - Endangering any person, including yourself
  • 2.2.D.a - A discharge in the holster
  • 2.2.D.c - A discharge into the ground within 2 feet of the shooter (or, in this case, within one of their literal feet)
  • 2.2.D.e - A discharge during "Load and make ready", "Are you ready", etc
  • 2.2.D.f - A discharge before the start signal

Holstering a single-action with the safety off is covered by:

• 3.4.9 - ...Firearms must start from the mechanical condition of readiness appropriate to their design and the shooter's division.
  • You have to read between the lines a little, but in essence the SO shouldn't proceed to "Are you ready" if the shooter is in the incorrect position. Per 2.12.2 - "The shooter will prepare the firearm and magazines to match the start position for the stage" after "Load and make ready".
  • It would be a reshoot if you realized the shooter started with the safety off per 3.7.3