Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fast swingers

IHAVEGAS

They have to stop to reverse direction. Figure out where you would be aiming at the stop point, then shoot one just before and one just after the stop. That is the slowest it will be moving when it's first released.

To me the trick with swingers is that I often forget just how fast the bullet is moving. Essentially WAY faster than any swinging target. 

My plan doesn't always work out this way but I simply try and call two good shots. Attempt not to move the gun too terribly much with the swinger ... that for me has been a failing maneuver. As mentioned above - timing it with when the target is slowest is always good but just don't forget that if the A zone is in the sights with a good trigger press - whether the target is moving or not - should 99% of the time yield an A hit. 

Probably should have asked the question differently, I meant methods specific to getting that long throw d.a. revolver trigger pulled at speeds similar to what you can do with single action. 

For moving targets specifically but also applicable to stationary target (stationary targets are still but your gun is moving so kinda the same thing) 

AIM and PRESS the trigger at the same time, these are not sequential tasks they are parallel tasks, think of them in this way 

Do not wait for the sights to be aligned on your chosen point of aim before you start pressing the trigger, start pressing before you are where you want the gun to be and keep aiming and driving the gun to the point of aim till it goes off. For a swinger where the dwell is blocked you will be moving your point of aim with the target if it is a target that you can shoot as it dwells start your press and aiming before it gets there. pay attention to what yo are seeing as you press the trigger so you can call your shots.

4 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Probably should have asked the question differently, I meant methods specific to getting that long throw d.a. revolver trigger pulled at speeds similar to what you can do with single action. 

I may have answered this above but its important to realize with some practice that DA pull can happen pretty quickly, for me it is still slower than a SA gun but still reasonably quick, I can only get a revo into the low .2s and yes there are times that means I have to take a swinger in 2 passes because I can't hammer out a .14 split on it in one pass but you also have to remember that in revo points are king, your stage hit factors will be much lower than in the auto divisions, this means getting 2A or A,C in 2 passes is way better in most instances than rushing and getting C,D in one pass.

12 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

I can only get a revo into the low .2s

All feedback appreciated. 

Pulling the trigger while aiming I will work on, seems like a bit of steel challenge or the plate rack at the club should be a decent way to practice that live.

Otherwise, is 0.25s a reasonable goal for splits on easy close targets for a 'want to make A class' level shooter?

Part of my opportunity I think is just the pure mechanics of swinging the trigger hard without throwing the sights way off 

yes, .25 with accuracy will get you to GM in revo, just remember that splits are the least important thing we work on, the big ones are transitions and shooting the instant the sights arrive, thats why the trigger press is independent of aiming and normally needs to start before you have a confirmed enough sight picture. there are lots of people that like to stage DA triggers on harder shots, personally im not a big fan of this, sometimes I do it but its more a by product of the process than a goal. on harder shots I will modulate the trigger speed, as in start the press fast like normal then slow it down as needed to allow enough time for the sights to align with the goal to have the trigger break just a s the sights are perfect. I say this is a goal because it doesn't happen all the time sometimes the break is late and I lose time over aiming sometimes I have to pause the trigger to not break too early, that all ok because the goal is always the same. 

Last two posts:

Really?  That's what you guys think we need to discuss on BE Forums?  The same plac that has for years been used as a reference point for shooters and people who want to learn about shooting, including youngsters?

I am by no means a prude, but that crap is 8th grade stuff . . . .  grow up!

13 minutes ago, 45 Raven said:

Last two posts:

Really?  That's what you guys think we need to discuss on BE Forums?  The same plac that has for years been used as a reference point for shooters and people who want to learn about shooting, including youngsters?

Lighten up. This is the revolver forum, there's no one here under 50 anyway.

3 hours ago, Prange said:

I was thinking more like 60. 

When I started shooting revo I was told I wasn’t allowed to because I was under 30. However, I was granted a waiver because I groan reflexively when leaving a seated position.

To get this back on track though, has anyone got a good method of dry firing a swinger?

6 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

When I started shooting revo I was told I wasn’t allowed to because I was under 30. However, I was granted a waiver because I groan reflexively when leaving a seated position.

To get this back on track though, has anyone got a good method of dry firing a swinger?

I have a swinger. And I dry fire it in my yard. 

I had something rigged to a motor a few years back to prep for world shoot, it was all I could manage on short notice back then. 

I'm here holding down the 30ish fort.

I'm sure I'll have to chase faster splits eventually, but there are so many other things to work on that I think I'll get more gains from first. Just this offseason, I pushed my personal best reload from about 2.4 to about 1.8.

On 3/13/2021 at 6:31 PM, 45 Raven said:

Last two posts:

I believe there is a famous quote that goes something like "I do not think it means what you think it means." If you think I meant something other than exactly what I posted, that's your problem and not mine.