Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best powder for 100 grain 38 special loads

Hello All: I have been trying to find the correct powder for 38 special loads with a 100 grain coated bullet for Steel challenge. I have found several powders that give me acceptable accuracy however the velocity variation from high to low is over 100 fps on the best load, some I tested were over 300 fps. What have you found that works for both accuracy and velocity. My goal is to find a powder that will give me around 850 fps. Thanks in advance

Red Dot, Clays, Trail Boss, Solo 1000 are all ones I've tried.

Other ones I'd suggest: Promo, Clay Dot, Bullseye, WST, AA #2

If the book load is more than 3-3.5 grains, it's probably not what you're looking for in terms of low velocity target loads.

Over the past few weeks I have tested Bullseye, Clays, Red Dot, VV32C, 700X, Titegroup, VV 350 and BE86 all have what I consider too much extreme spread, I even tested with one chamber and found the results less than ideal, should I consider a shorter case for more effective ignition?

May I ask what gun, barrel length, exact bullet used?

Are you using moons?

I use S&W 929s for SCSA so 9mm but the guys that I know that use 38 revos (627s and such), many of them use 38 short colt brass. Just food for thought, there are a bunch of threads here on this I think the revolver sub forum is where most of them are located.

I am using a 627 smith with a 6 1/2” barrel, the bullets are a bang and clang .358 diameter plated flat point round nose. I use federal primers with a noticeable roll crimp. One of the loads I tested gave me 1 1/2” groups at 25 yards however the velocity difference was noticeable while shooting.

If you want more consistent combustion, all you can do is raise the pressure.  Work the load up more and it will become more consistent.  If that means too much velocity, you need a faster burning powder (and less of it to achieve the same pressure).  Very generally speaking, the higher the pressure, the more consistently a powder burns.  Obviously once you hit the pressure limit for your cartridge, you have to stop.

Edited by twodownzero

Taking into consideration the current powder situation I am going to shorten a few cases to 38 long Colt length and re-test a few or the more promising powders I have. Hopefully this will get me closer to my goal, I will post my results sometime next week. Headed to Mesquite NV. today for two days of Revo excitement.

Not sure why you’re going short Colt for steel challenge where there’s no reload on the clock. FWIW, my most accurate load in .38 SP is X700. Had some hand me down from a friend (in the metal IMR cans) so tried it on a whim and dayum! 

1 hour ago, 357454 said:

Taking into consideration the current powder situation I am going to shorten a few cases to 38 long Colt length and re-test a few or the more promising powders I have. Hopefully this will get me closer to my goal, I will post my results sometime next week. Headed to Mesquite NV. today for two days of Revo excitement.

Search both here and the BE revolver subforums on shortening 38 brass to 38 short colt length. It is not as easy as it sounds. 

I do think that using 38 short colt might be a solution to your problem. There are a lot of 627 and TRR8 shooters in Steel Challenge that use that cartridge. I'm not one of them I have 929s so 9mm. I would ask around before committing a lot of time and money. Bullseye or WST 105g SWC coated. 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:39 AM, 357454 said:

Taking into consideration the current powder situation I am going to shorten a few cases to 38 long Colt length and re-test a few or the more promising powders I have. 

No need to trim brass.  Just push the bullet in deeper. That will emulate a 38 Colt case (Short or Long). As Service Desk notes, you can seat them flush.

The reduced space by seating the bullet deeper will increase consistency.