Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer issues with Dillon Super 1050

After loading around 900+ rounds of 223 with the 1050 and dealing with powder leaking (CFE 223) at the dispenser station, I encountered a primer issue. The automatic primer feature just quit! No real reason or problem prior to this issue........it just stopped feeding. The press is only a couple of weeks old, so I would not think a part is worn that quickly. Any suggestions or like problems encountered? 

-Bearsdoc

54 minutes ago, Bearsdoc said:

After loading around 900+ rounds of 223 with the 1050 and dealing with powder leaking (CFE 223) at the dispenser station, I encountered a primer issue. The automatic primer feature just quit! No real reason or problem prior to this issue........it just stopped feeding. The press is only a couple of weeks old, so I would not think a part is worn that quickly. Any suggestions or like problems encountered? 

-Bearsdoc

Take a look at the blue plastic piece at the end of the priming tube. It could be buggered up. 

4 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

Take a look at the blue plastic piece at the end of the priming tube. It could be buggered up. 

If that looks ok then be careful when you reassemble to not crank down on the knurled nut at the top of the primer tube.

Turn it down until you just start to feel resistance then stop. Your tendency will be to snug it up. Do not do that.

Also: If you are getting a lot of powder leakage it may be time to disassemble the primer feed mechanism and do a deep cleaning.

Many of the issues with these presses go away following a thorough clean and lube.

Edited by ddc

14 minutes ago, ddc said:

If that looks ok then be careful when you reassemble to not crank down on the knurled nut at the top of the primer tube.

Turn it down until you just start to feel resistance then stop. Your tendency will be to snug it up. Do not do that.

Also: If you are getting a lot of powder leakage it may be time to disassemble the primer feed mechanism and do a deep cleaning.

Many of the issues with these presses go away following a thorough clean and lube.

Understood, and you are correct about the powder leakage. I spoke with Dillon yesterday and the rep said leakage while loading 223's is a common issue and considered normal. Is this correct? 

27 minutes ago, Bearsdoc said:

Understood, and you are correct about the powder leakage. I spoke with Dillon yesterday and the rep said leakage while loading 223's is a common issue and considered normal. Is this correct? 

I wish I could help with that one but I only load 9mm. 

And yes the blue tip should last longer than 900 for sure. However if the knob was too tight then it would have worn faster than usual.

Powder leakage from where?  Is it from advancing the shell plate with a round that is loaded with powder that does not have a primer? Is the powder leaking while filling the case?  If that is the case, are you leaving the handle in the down position long enough to allow all of the power do leave the hopper?  That is a lot of powder flowing through  a small hole.  Is it leaking from the powder bar itself?

You need to understand where the powder is leaking from for anyone to truly help.  

Is the primer slide assembly P/N 20317, moving back and forth properly?  Is the primer slide assembly and its channel that it slides in completely free of debris (especially powder)?  Is the slide actuating lever (the lever that moves the primer slide assembly back and forth, P/N 11003) adjusted properly?  The height of the "New Lever Arm Bracket" P/N 13001 is critical for proper primer system operation (this part dictates the position of the slide actuating lever (P/N 11003).  When I received my Dillon the "New Level Arm Bracket" moved when I started loading due to it not being tight enough.  To a position where it actually locked the press up.  With some patience one can understand the proper position of this bracket.  The easiest way to test if the primer slide assembly is moving in both directions properly is to watch with the press empty.  With the Press lever fully down the primer punch will be visible as it rises through the hole where the primer rests in the primer slide assembly.  When the press handle if fully up the back primer slide assembly should be up against the Primer Slide stop (Part Number 13108).  If one or both of these positions are not being achieved by the primer slide assembly needs some adjustment.  If the primer slide assembly does not move back to the slide stop, it will never pick up a primer.

As the others have mentioned I would inspect the blue primer magazine tip.  Make sure the tip in installed in the magazine tube properly.  There is a specific orientation.

There is really only really three things that prevent primers from dropping.  Obstruction in the primer magazine tube, deformed or improperly positioned primer magazine tip, and improper functioning primer slide assembly. 

I will add a fourth, but it should not be needed to be mentioned; a filthy press.  If one does not maintain their press and clean it regularly, or clean it after issues (lots of spilling powder) the operator will have tons of issues.  

I have also noted; that a dirty press, mainly powder that has found its way under the shell plate causes all kinds of problems related to the primer system and how it operates.  Maybe something else to investigate.

I have also seen were lube build up on top of the primer slide assembly from lube migrating off of the shell plate as it cycles contribute to issues with varying primer seating depth.

On a side note, Placing a 45 brass casing on top of the primer plunger will also aid in pressing primers down.

If you care to, you can download a PDF of the manual for the Dillon Presses here.  You can look up the part numbers I identified for quicker reference.  Use the search function in the PDF.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

Edited by Boomstick303

15 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Powder leakage from where?  Is it from advancing the shell plate with a round that is loaded with powder that does not have a primer? Is the powder leaking while filling the case?  If that is the case, are you leaving the handle in the down position long enough to allow all of the power do leave the hopper?  That is a lot of powder flowing through  a small hole.  Is it leaking from the powder bar itself?

You need to understand where the powder is leaking from for anyone to truly help.  

Is the primer slide assembly P/N 20317, moving back and forth properly?  Is the primer slide assembly and its channel that it slides in completely free of debris (especially powder)?  Is the slide actuating lever (the lever that moves the primer slide assembly back and forth, P/N 11003) adjusted properly?  The height of the "New Lever Arm Bracket" P/N 13001 is critical for proper primer system operation (this part dictates the position of the slide actuating lever (P/N 11003).  When I received my Dillon the "New Level Arm Bracket" moved when I started loading due to it not being tight enough.  To a position where it actually locked the press up.  With some patience one can understand the proper position of this bracket.  The easiest way to test if the primer slide assembly is moving in both directions properly is to watch with the press empty.  With the Press lever fully down the primer punch will be visible as it rises through the hole where the primer rests in the primer slide assembly.  When the press handle if fully up the back primer slide assembly should be up against the Primer Slide stop (Part Number 13108).  If one or both of these positions are not being achieved by the primer slide assembly needs some adjustment.  If the primer slide assembly does not move back to the slide stop, it will never pick up a primer.

As the others have mentioned I would inspect the blue primer magazine tip.  Make sure the tip in installed in the magazine tube properly.  There is a specific orientation.

There is really only really three things that prevent primers from dropping.  Obstruction in the primer magazine tube, deformed or improperly positioned primer magazine tip, and improper functioning primer slide assembly. 

I will add a fourth, but it should not be needed to be mentioned; a filthy press.  If one does not maintain their press and clean it regularly, or clean it after issues (lots of spilling powder) the operator will have tons of issues.  

I have also noted; that a dirty press, mainly powder that has found its way under the shell plate causes all kinds of problems related to the primer system and how it operates.  Maybe something else to investigate.

I have also seen were lube build up on top of the primer slide assembly from lube migrating off of the shell plate as it cycles contribute to issues with varying primer seating depth.

On a side note, Placing a 45 brass casing on top of the primer plunger will also aid in pressing primers down.

If you care to, you can download a PDF of the manual for the Dillon Presses here.  You can look up the part numbers I identified for quicker reference.  Use the search function in the PDF.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

You are correct on the dirty press issues which closely follows powder spills. I have experienced that early on when a primer did not seat. I have all the issues corrected now and it is loading fine. As a precaution, I took the press apart and gave it a good cleaning (though there was very little residue visible).  The primer problem was me. Operator error for over tightening the knob at the top of the primer magazine. It literally crushed the tip, which resulted in holding the primers in place, but not depositing them as the machine advanced. Thanks for your suggestions and help!

-Bearsdoc

21 hours ago, GringoBandito said:

It was the tip indeed. I had over tightened the knob at the top of the primer magazine and crushed the tip. I had a replacement tip in my kit and made the change. All is working properly and the press is back in action. I loaded a group of 1000 and feel pretty good about the press and process. Thanks for your input!

-Bearsdoc

An air compressor with a blower nozzle that is handy to the reloading area is a prize.  A quick squirt of air every once in a while prevents a lot of problems, but you must be careful to only blow out the powder that you want to.  It is easy to blow the powder out of a charged case.  I use a fingertip to cover that one case when I give it a blast.