Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tandemkross Kraken 22/45 Frame

cbrussell

I read an article in the current Shooting Sports USA magazine regarding the Tandemkross Kraken 22/45 frame to be available 2nd quarter of this year. An aluminum MKIIV 22/45 frame paired with Black Mamba 4.5 inch upper would my idea Steel Challenge pistol. Always wondered why Ruger did not produce their MKIIV 22/45 frame in aluminum. Check it out; seems to be pretty cool.

Yeah, I said the same thing when I first saw it. However, that can be remedied in a number of ways. Personally, after handling my friend’s aluminum framed Ruger, I much prefer it to the polymer frame. Hope production is on track for this upcoming quarter. Still surprised Volquartsen has not come out with a metal grip, but maybe now they will. I would prefer purchasing the whole complete pistol from them. One thing I do wonder about; the Volquartsen Black Mamba has the magazine catch moved up to promote better feeding. I wonder if the Tandemkross frame will do the same?

On 3/9/2021 at 10:25 AM, cbrussell said:

Yeah, I said the same thing when I first saw it. However, that can be remedied in a number of ways. Personally, after handling my friend’s aluminum framed Ruger, I much prefer it to the polymer frame. Hope production is on track for this upcoming quarter. Still surprised Volquartsen has not come out with a metal grip, but maybe now they will. I would prefer purchasing the whole complete pistol from them. One thing I do wonder about; the Volquartsen Black Mamba has the magazine catch moved up to promote better feeding. I wonder if the Tandemkross frame will do the same?

I'll probably end up getting one, slapping an LLV upper on it at some point. But currently I'm wanting to build my 10/22. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, it looks like there may be a bit of a hang up using the Kraken lower. My friend purchased one but it seems that all the parts necessary to function cannot be purchased a-la-carte  because Ruger does not sell some parts and they are not currently produced by aftermarket suppliers. It appears the only way to utilize the Kraken lower is to already have in hand a complete 22/45 lower and transfer the parts into the Kraken and upgrade some of the parts which are produced by aftermarket suppliers. At this time it appears the the bolt stop pin is one of the parts, there may be others.

Hopefully I am misinformed; please let me know if I am.

Thanks.

It looks like I may have been wrong. It seems the bolt stop pin can be purchased through aftermarket retailers. 

We are new to this platform so I would be interested to hear if anyone has a parts list and suppliers which is needed to make the Kraken lower operational.

Thanks again.

13 hours ago, cbrussell said:

Turns out I was correct to begin with. One needs a donor gun to use the Kraken frame. Some parts are not sold by Ruger.

This is correct.  the idea of the Kraken is to replace the factory polymer lower with something stronger with a better upper-lower lockup

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 3:50 PM, cbrussell said:

My buddy purchased one; looks to be machined to high standards. You do need a donor gun because as of yet all the parts cannot t be sourced from Ruger or 3rd party suppliers.

Yeah, I actually talked to Kevin at TK a couple of weeks ago and he said they are thinking about putting together a complete parts kit for the lower.  Presumably with as many of the TK parts as they can stuff in there as substitutes for the Ruger factory parts.  I think that if they can manage to put that together you are going to see a lot of people going that route for a build.  I certainly would.  I just cannot justify spending the money on a MK IV just to ditch the frame and then spend another $275 to replace the factory lower.  However, if already had an older MK IV, I would pull the trigger on it almost immediately.

Edited by mniels