Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC mag length

Bakerjd

I've always wondered why PCC doesnt have a magazine length or round limit like all other division in USPSA? No shade to the PCC shooters. Or why do limited and especially open hagbe one still?

4 hours ago, 71Commander said:

Because a 25 round mag of one brand would be shorter/longer than a 25 rounder of a different model gun. There is no uniformity.

So what, open is limited to 171.25 mm mags, not all 170s hold the same amount of ammo.

I have some that hold 29, some that hold 30.

6 hours ago, 71Commander said:

Because a 25 round mag of one brand would be shorter/longer than a 25 rounder of a different model gun. There is no uniformity.

For example, my Colt pattern PCC mags hold less than a similar size Glock 33 round mag.  Not restricting the mag capacity permits all of the firearm manufacturers to play the game.  I think USPSA got this one correct from the beginning.

Just now, RedlandsShooter said:

For example, my Colt pattern PCC mags hold less than a similar size Glock 33 round mag.  Not restricting the mag capacity permits all of the firearm manufacturers to play the game.  I think USPSA got this one correct from the beginning.

The argument is, why does one division have no capacity or length limits when all the other divisions do?

The answer is likely that PCCs are out there doing their own thing and the standard rules aren't applied to them. 

58 minutes ago, RedlandsShooter said:

I don’t see it as an argument but rather more about understanding that PCC is not Open, don’t compare the two against one another.

It's not just open that has a limit but rather every other division. So it's an argument of PCC vs the rest.

I couldn't care less either way but it does pose an interesting question as the mag lengths have gotten pretty ridiculous. I fully see at some point setting a maximum. 

52 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

It's not just open that has a limit but rather every other division. So it's an argument of PCC vs the rest.

I couldn't care less either way but it does pose an interesting question as the mag lengths have gotten pretty ridiculous. I fully see at some point setting a maximum. 

Yeah, it’s funny how long those extensions are getting, pretty soon the mags will need training wheels.  Sure don’t see them using the meglamag as their mandatory mag change magazine during classifiers.  I do think it’s pretty cool that we have at least one division that is pretty close the unlimited.

1 minute ago, RedlandsShooter said:

Yeah, it’s funny how long those extensions are getting, pretty soon the mags will need training wheels.  Sure don’t see them using the meglamag as their mandatory mag change magazine during classifiers.  I do think it’s pretty cool that we have at least one division that is pretty close the unlimited.

I think it was a mistake not to have magazine length limits when it was provisional, but they didn't and they will never go to magazine limits making peoples existing mags illegal to use.

Other than a few outlaw matches & UML 3-gun who cares how long the mega mags are? The COF in USPSA averages what, 28-32 rounds,  but I shoot PCC & in a USPSA match have never had to reload using my 33 round Glock with a plus 2 extension.  I agree that it would be impossible to reign in the mag sizes now with all the different manufacturers making the extensions. I think even IDPA does not have a mag length limit just number of rounds(30) in mag.

gerritm

4 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

The argument is, why does one division have no capacity or length limits when all the other divisions do?

It's a rifle division vs. pistol divisions. Not a big deal. 

Once you have enough rounds to avoid a reload it really doesn't matter what the capacity is. PCC guys reload on malfunctions, the rest of pistol divisions reload as part of the plan. Most reload only once anyways, and quite a few Open (now also C/O) shooters don't have to reload on some stages. 

It's funny that one group wants to limit capacity for one division, while another group wants to relax capacity for another. There is quite a bit of bickering about expanding Production to either 15, or to the length limits like C/O. Certainly can't please everyone. 

Since a max capacity rule for PCC isn’t likely to happen.  One possible way get back to reality is have PCC shooters declare their max capacity at sign-up and require all mags to be identical in size/capacity and fully loaded at the beginning of each stage.  Not aware of a mag holder (yet) that could hold a G33 rounder with a Goliath extension.   Not sure shooters would want to do a mandatory mag change with a 51 round mag coming off their belt.  Shooters still have freedom of choice on capacity/equipment.   I’m not advocating this but for those that think it can’t be remedied you are wrong.  I’m sure there are many ways to approach this if USPSA decides they need or want to.

25 minutes ago, RedlandsShooter said:

Not aware of a mag holder (yet) that could hold a G33 rounder with a Goliath extension.

DAA has an extended spacer that will work for pretty much any big stick. The more of a problem is the location for the uber-long sticks so that they don't poke you in the eye. 

4 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

one of the main reasons so many pcc's don't run reliably is ridiculous mag lengths and particularly mag extensions. I say make 60 rds mags the MINIMUM for pcc, so we can all continue to be amused.

Hello, let the PCC's run what they have. If they want 60 round magazines then let them have it. When I run a PCC I use 36-42 round magazines and do just fine on a USPSA pistol match with that amount. On a monster steel match I bump it up to 47. Why not limit all divisions to 10 rounds and be happy? Just kidding or maybe not-mmmm. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for not getting argumentative on this guys. I'm not saying it's a bad thing letting PCC run around with mags dragging the ground. I was just wondering if there was more to the mag length thing with other divisions and PCC didnt have it because that reason didnt correlate to PCC.