Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Feeder Lid

I know this has been discussed a bit before, however, with 3D printing now it the mix I think it would be a great idea to make a lid for the Dillon casefeeder which could be covered with Superlite Dynamat as well as the bowl. That should quite things down a bunch. I know some have used towels, cardboard boxes etc., but I was looking for something a bit more elegant. If I could find a pot cover that would fit I could insulate that but I haven’t the foggiest where to look. Any ideas?

I don’t know if it would need some kind of slot to fit around the metal piece on the casefeeder? Some way to keep it falling off? 

I would be really interested on what you come up with “muncie21.” It could be then covered with Dynamat Superlite. Combine that with covering the outside of the bowl with Dynamat Superlite, I be that would quite things down a bunch!

On 3/14/2021 at 12:33 PM, muncie21 said:

I can sketch up a lid pretty quickly. In addition to a knob/handle to remove the lid and extra deep lip (so insulation can be added) any other features folks think would be useful?

Choice of colors?  LOL!

Here's a quick sketch along with 30% mock-up. 

I have most colors to print, including fluorescent orange, green and yellow for the folks that want to stand out. However I'd be happy to share the STL files also, for anyone that ones to print one themselves.

996942536_CaseFeederLidv1A.jpg.c44b5f23dc0ea299fc3b3116b6aed52c.jpg276653221_CaseFeederLidv1B.jpg.f3981e0d3c9ac9c3963a6e1c2c91a79d.jpgIMG_2643.JPG.ad629d6228c9b33ea3b66273b49221ff.JPGIMG_2642.JPG.d8057959da1168a908e605397068923d.JPG

36 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Let me print out a full-size version to ensure everything fits correctly and incorporate some design improvements, then we can discuss. 

I would be interested as well.  Maybe a mirror port, and/or a mount for a mirror possibly?  Maybe a recess to glue in plexi on the under side of the half that is stationary the end user could incorporate.

Not sure how much time it would be to design that if you care to? 

Pretty cool idea.  I was just thinking last night how loud that case feeder is.

Edited by Boomstick303

7 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Maybe a mirror port, and/or a mount for a mirror possibly?  Maybe a recess to glue in plexi on the under side of the half that is stationary the end user could incorporate.

A mount (I'm thinking standardized mount like Go-Pro ones or even a picatinny rail across the top) could be incorporated into the top of the stationary side of the cover easy enough.  This would allow a mirror or any other component/device to be mounted there. 

I don't do 3D CAD for a living so this is mainly fun/personal interest for me.  I don't mind adding features, however keep in mind additional complexity will require more print time when you decide to print.  The 30% model I created is ~4" in diameter (actual Dillon case feeder is 12 5/8) and took about 5 hours to print. 

Let me understand this. You are making the CAD drawing free for anyone who wants it to print up THEIR OWN case feeder lid, right? Or printing the lids and giving them away for FREE, right?

Because, if you are making them and then marketing and selling them here on the forum, that would violate forum rules...

8 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Let me understand this. You are making the CAD drawing free for anyone who wants it to print up THEIR OWN case feeder lid, right? Or printing the lids and giving them away for FREE, right?

Because, if you are making them and then marketing and selling them here on the forum, that would violate forum rules...

Hi Grumpy,

I'm planning to post the drawings (free) so that anyone that wants to print one can do so.  If someone doesn't have the means of printing one themselves I would be open to work something out, but I've got no intentions of marketing/selling this contraption on BE.  This is a productive way for me to improve my CAD skills while giving back to the reloading community at the same time.

19 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

Hey grumpy, why so grumpy?

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Would you ask a State Trooper that question if he were giving you a warning instead of a ticket?

😈

Depends if I were speeding or not...

Anyhow you'll get no grief from me.  Thanks for the reminder and for volunteering your time to moderate these forums.

3 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Would you ask a State Trooper that question if he were giving you a warning instead of a ticket?

😈

I never argue with a beat cop, I always tell my story to the judge.

Hands up, don't shoot...

...don't taze me bro :)

23 hours ago, muncie21 said:

Depends if I were speeding or not...

Anyhow you'll get no grief from me.  Thanks for the reminder and for volunteering your time to moderate these forums.

Lol, I'm with ysrracer.  I never argue, even if I wasn't speeding or didn't roll the stop sign, etc... because I was speeding yesterday and will probably be doing it tomorrow and I know I've missed a couple of stop signs over the years, but I do frequently have donuts in the car which has gotten me out of more than one speeding ticket.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on this project however, got slowed down a bit with work plus had to redesign the lid a little as I couldn't fit an entire 'half' on my printer plate.  So ended up quartering the lid and creating some tabs to connect the pieces while still keeping the hinge to be able to add cases.

Once this gets closer to an actual usable component, I'll post some more pics and STL files.

Looking forward to it. As an aside, I was looking at 3D printers and wondering about the printing plate size. Quickly realized that large printing plate size is no the norm for consumer grade printers.

41 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

Looking forward to it. As an aside, I was looking at 3D printers and wondering about the printing plate size. Quickly realized that large printing plate size is no the norm for consumer grade printers.

Correct, most consumer/hobby 3D printer beds are 235x235x250 (LWH in mm) with the 'plus' models coming in around 350x350x400 or so.  What a lot of folks do is design the prints to be assembled post printing.  This  can be done either mechanically, glue/chemicals, heat or a combination.