Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Better to shoot cut down 10mm brass as 40's or just leave it 10mm?

IHAVEGAS

Been shooting 40's in my "10mm" Ruger GP for the last year or so. With the small primer shortage was thinking about going to 10mm so I can use large primers.

Anyone know of a problem associated with cutting down 10mm brass? Am assuming that the 40 length will be better for reloads on the clock.

28 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Why? 

because having 40s with large primers would suck if they got mixed in with regular 40.

just run the 10mm as is it won't make a difference you can see on reload speed, its lot that much longer than 40, nothing like 38 spl to 9mm/short colt.

When I decided to buy and shoot a 10mm I made the choice not to have two different sets of brass for the same gun. I have that with my 357's, don't need to do it again. I just work up downloads for my 10mm. I don't see the benefit of using 40S&W in a 10mm and I certainly don't see the benefit of cutting a bunch of 10mm cases down, you can scrounge 40S&W on the range, but I don't find much 10mm in the brass bucket.

1 hour ago, CtYankee said:

I don't see the benefit of using 40S&W

Before the SPP shortage it allowed me to never change primer press components, use the same bullets in my wheel gun that I use in my bottom feeders, and avoid buying any brass and avoid changing the die heights going from 40 to 10. Just my particular situation I suppose, although in the general case it seems like 10mm brass is pricey as heck and 40 is laying around on the ground like it grows there. 

Appreciate all of the feedback!! 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Before the SPP shortage it allowed me to never change primer press components, use the same bullets in my wheel gun that I use in my bottom feeders, and avoid buying any brass and avoid changing the die heights going from 40 to 10. Just my particular situation I suppose, although in the general case it seems like 10mm brass is pricey as heck and 40 is laying around on the ground like it grows there. 

Appreciate all of the feedback!! 

I have 2 sets of dies so I don't have to change die height between 38 & 357.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:38 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Been shooting 40's in my "10mm" Ruger GP for the last year or so. With the small primer shortage was thinking about going to 10mm so I can use large primers.

Anyone know of a problem associated with cutting down 10mm brass? Am assuming that the 40 length will be better for reloads on the clock.

I'm with the WHY? votes.  Just download the 10mm brass to your 40S&W PF and shoot until SPP are available again.... maybe in 2024. 🙄

Extra set of dies?  Voting yes.

Setting up a magnum toolhead make sense.  Swap and load to pre-established settings.  Quick, easy, no monkeying around.

30 minutes ago, Yeti said:

I'm with the WHY? votes. -established settings.  Quick, easy, no monkeying around.

I think I covered that one already. Free brass (I have 40), don't need to buy any reloading dies or otherwise mess with settings, same ammo will work in my 40 cal semi auto's. 

I too have been considering cutting  10mm brass to 40 length due to the "primer" availability, a recent discussion with fellow shooters and watching a few guys with 38 specials reload faster than shooters with Short Colts and 9mms tells us the only way to know for certian is to do back to back comparisons. This week I will do just that at my local range the loads will be as comparable as possible. The next problem will be sourcing more bullets, my 610 really likes the Berrys 155 grn hollow base round nose which like many others are extremely difficult to find. A recent call to Berrys revealed they have no current plans to manufacture more. What bullets are the rest of you shooting in your 40 cal revolvers?

1 hour ago, 357454 said:

I too have been considering cutting  10mm brass to 40 length due to the "primer" availability, a recent discussion with fellow shooters and watching a few guys with 38 specials reload faster than shooters with Short Colts and 9mms tells us the only way to know for certian is to do back to back comparisons. This week I will do just that at my local range the loads will be as comparable as possible. The next problem will be sourcing more bullets, my 610 really likes the Berrys 155 grn hollow base round nose which like many others are extremely difficult to find. A recent call to Berrys revealed they have no current plans to manufacture more. What bullets are the rest of you shooting in your 40 cal revolvers?

Not in a Revolver, but Acme, Bayou make a 200 Coated RN.

6 hours ago, 357454 said:

What bullets are the rest of you shooting in your 40 cal revolvers?

Interested as well (Ruger), I have been shooting up what I already had (180 grain bayou coated), works well enough for a casual shooters IDPA gun, but likely not the best. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, PatJones said:

The walls of the case get thicker as you get down towards the case head. If you trim the cases, there is a chance the base of the bullet could get into the taper.

^^^^this. 
Don’t know what vel your after but I’ve loaded my 10 auto with 180 syntec,  Win 244 and are very accurate at 1030-1050 FPS. 

Edited by Farmer

On 3/17/2021 at 1:00 AM, Farmer said:

^^^^this. 
Don’t know what vel your after but I’ve loaded my 10 auto with 180 syntec,  Win 244 and are very accurate at 1030-1050 FPS. 

I need to exceed 155 power factor, so with 180's 900fps would be about ideal (35fps safety margin).