Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Running handguard "upside down" ar15

Rjz5400

Maybe I'm bieng dumb but has anyone done this? I don't run buis on my 3gun rifle and I like the feel of a more rounded top with a thumb over grip.  

I know I would have to make clearance for my gas block but then I gain a flat grippy rail across the bottom and can ditch my pic rail section I use for occasional bipod use. 

I figure it will shed an ounce or two and give me a more stable platform on props. 

Anyone try it? 

Also I'm cheap and it is a cheap handguard, aluminum and I don't mind "messing it up" the nut allows for 4 positions it would seem. 

Edited by Rjz5400

I'm not sure how you would fit the gas block and tube with the rail upside down.  How about one of SLR's hybrid designs?  You would only have a section on pic rail at the front, but that might be all you need, no?

Edited by TalkingMonkey

If it's round you can run it 6, you can run it at 12, you can be devine and run it at 9, you can cant it to 3, oh gee! With the rail section down, you won't have to frown! If it is circular it is clear, no matter what it is near, the gas block it clears! No matter how it spins you win!

Yea after looking at it hard, it seems the gas block and gas tube won't clear the bottom if I flip it. 

Nice poem there, it isn't round and large enough to clear like a jp would be, it's octagonal with flats on the sides and bottom which wouldn't clear. 

I may go ahead and cut the section where the thumb goes over and try that. 

Edited by Rjz5400

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up cutting off the rail section right under my hand from the top, it made the grip smaller and more round, I may do the front one also, there is a big airgap anyway so it doesn't really make it weaker I think. 

Edited by Rjz5400