Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Article I wrote:

rowdyb

1 hour ago, B585 said:

Great article.  It was spot on and something that I am working on right now.

Thank you. I am self conscious about my writing ability, so I'm always very nervous about how things are received.

I thought it was a great article and the overall theme is something I think all of us could do better with. I know I finally broke down and bought a timer vs convincing myself the app on my phone worked fine. I need to better track my practice and progress with critical data and not 'looks better' type of practice.

Construction criticism, I'm not sure if there is an editor reviewing your article at all but I saw a few incorrect words (what vs want) a few areas where words appeared to be missing that would connect the content a little better and a few areas that could flow a little better. 

I thought overall it was well thought out and I know how hard it can be to spot errors in your own work. Half of what I do is presenting reports to clients that are reviewed by 3-4 people and I'll still catch things after I issue a report that we all missed.

Can't wait for your next article!

9 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Construction criticism, I'm not sure if there is an editor reviewing your article at all but I saw a few incorrect words (what vs want) a few areas where words appeared to be missing that would connect the content a little better and a few areas that could flow a little better. 

I do not think anyone proof read or edited it other than myself. What you see was my second draft. I will work at it for the next one and try to find someone who can polish it up for me.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:00 AM, RangerTrace said:

As someone who writes reports for a living, I can attest to the difficulty of proofing your own work.  

is there a standard format for your forms or can you freestyle it?

On 3/2/2021 at 5:55 AM, rowdyb said:

I do not think anyone proof read or edited it other than myself. What you see was my second draft. I will work at it for the next one and try to find someone who can polish it up for me.

I read your article, thanks and I like the info from Vogel.

To help your writing I would suggest using this service to “proof read.”

https://www.grammarly.com

It has helped me.

Thank you for helping others improve their shooting skill!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 4:32 PM, benos said:

I enjoyed your article Rowdy. I often define an effective action as: it must be consistently efficient. I'm currently pondering your "repeatability." :) 

Thank you. I'm interested in your personal insight. 

Thanks, and I'm still pondering! It feels like repeatability needs something a little more, to indicate more than something that is  simply repeatable. For example, say I can draw and shoot an A hit 1t 15 yards in 1.5 seconds, time after time, but I can also, every time, do that in 1 second. They are both repeatable, but the latter is obviously preferable. 

Looks like I need to evaluate exactly what I mean by repeatability and what it means to one's improvement versus one's performance. The subtle difference between what you can do and what you're trying to do. What does repeatability mean in the process of learning a skill, or improving it, versus your performance of it. I thought I was only addressing the practicing side of the equation.

Say regarding dry fire people ask me all the time, "what should I do?" and my usual, initial reply is "everything" but that is me being snarky and not really helpful. Usually at the most basic level, say again a new person practicing their draw in dry fire, repeatability to me/them would mean they've seen the ideal draw process (reference) and they know what they want (real/real data) then they should get repetition doing 'it' correctly. In this case I feel it is beneficial to do the same thing over and over again.

Just quickly thinking I feel like I'm using repeatability as an umbrella to cover concepts and words like consistency, standardization, what is ideal. I was also trying to use alliteration and also needed R words.

I just know I see too many people whom I think should know better, not knowing how to self analyze and self instruct. You may have a book and taken a class but the majority of it happens when you're alone due to the nature of our activity. So I'm constantly thinking how to improve the way people teach themselves.

"Looks like I need to evaluate exactly what I mean by repeatability and what it means to one's improvement versus one's performance. The subtle difference between what you can do and what you're trying to do."

I like that a lot.

"So I'm constantly thinking how to improve the way people teach themselves."

And I appreciate that hugely.

• 1 month later...
On 4/8/2021 at 4:26 PM, benos said:

"Looks like I need to evaluate exactly what I mean by repeatability and what it means to one's improvement versus one's performance. The subtle difference between what you can do and what you're trying to do."

I like that a lot.

"So I'm constantly thinking how to improve the way people teach themselves."

And I appreciate that hugely.

I've just completed a draft of an article about why an instructor with a competitor's background is valuable. Would you like to proof read it?

• 3 months later...