Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts and opinions on the LDA guns?

matteekay

Howdy BEnosverse. 

I'm a revolver shooter 80% of the time but I like to mix in semi-autos in the off-season. I've been mostly shooting the 1911 platform because I like the ergo's but have a tendency to jerk the single-action triggers since I'm used to rolling revo triggers. I'd seen LDA guns in the past but never gave them much thought - like everyone else, I pretty much poo-poo'd a DA 1911 as a wacky idea. The more I think about it, though, the more I'm thinking it might make sense to my wheelgun-trained brain.

Does anyone own one? What do you think about it? Ever competed with it?

Thanks!

+1 to that.

I carried one for a long time.  I liked having the hammer down and still ready to fire with just a slightly longer, heaver pull.

RTL

Edited by rtl
Miss spelled

21 hours ago, matteekay said:

Howdy BEnosverse. 

I'm a revolver shooter 80% of the time but I like to mix in semi-autos in the off-season. I've been mostly shooting the 1911 platform because I like the ergo's but have a tendency to jerk the single-action triggers since I'm used to rolling revo triggers. I'd seen LDA guns in the past but never gave them much thought - like everyone else, I pretty much poo-poo'd a DA 1911 as a wacky idea. The more I think about it, though, the more I'm thinking it might make sense to my wheelgun-trained brain.

Does anyone own one? What do you think about it? Ever competed with it?

Thanks!

I've shot an LDA gun once at a range but haven't seen them as of late since they were acquired by Remington. If you want a semi-auto that is like a revolver I recommend the DAO Beretta models. Smooth slide and great trigger. 

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting design and I think they are pretty cool, but not a good idea for competition use these days. 

No support at all now, no parts.  Soon there will be no parts even available at places like Sarco.  Unless you plan on buying a bag of spare LDA unique parts, I say no.

If you just want to own one for general use, go for it.  Still buy the spare parts though.  

23 hours ago, Yeti said:

Interesting design and I think they are pretty cool, but not a good idea for competition use these days. 

No support at all now, no parts.  Soon there will be no parts even available at places like Sarco.  Unless you plan on buying a bag of spare LDA unique parts, I say no.

If you just want to own one for general use, go for it.  Still buy the spare parts though.  

That's what I was going to say. The lack of parts to fix it scares me. 

I couldn’t get used to the trigger and sold it to my buddy, a revolver guy, who shot it really well. I’d buy one if you want one and hope your gunsmith can fix any future issues. BTW, my two buddies who have them have had no issues with theirs at all. 

I had a Para LDA in 40 cal many years ago. I liked it a lot as I was also a Rego shooter back then. At some point I transitioned to Glock and never looked back. I ended up trading it to a buddy for a S&W 625 Revo. 

7 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I had a Para LDA in 40 cal many years ago. I liked it a lot as I was also a Rego shooter back then. At some point I transitioned to Glock and never looked back. I ended up trading it to a buddy for a S&W 625 Revo. 

To be fair... you won that trade, lol.

I want to play with one at some point but I'll likely have to buy it in order to do that (you don't typically see these sitting around at the local shops). Need to get lucky or wait for the Covinsanity to end.