Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo threaded barrels and compensators?

Tanfo noob here, I have experience working with 1911/2011's but this is my first Tanfo, I got a Gold Team in 45acp, with a 9mm v12 upper.

I want to make a "minor" barrel to shoot factory.

If I buy Eric's Gold Custom compensator:

gold-custom-compensator.jpg

What kind of Tanfo barrel will I need to buy? Size, type, etc. Does it need to be cone shaped as well?

Will this one work? It's 4.75" and threaded, chambered 9x19:

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks!

the fun part is cutting the barrel chamfers if you don't have a mill, look at your gold team barrel where the lug meets the chamber and then look at the barrel in the picture there is a pretty good bevel to add. The threads on the barrel in the picture are probably not the right pitch (but could be) and are unlikely far enough down the barrel for that comp. 

• 1 month later...

Yes the gold teams don’t use the cone barrel. They use the straight ‘match barrel’ which is threaded. The comp and cone are one piece. So once you screw on the comp you effectively now have a cone barrel with the comp.

i should add that the advice above mirrors my experience too in that tanfoglio will sell you a longer (4.75”?) straight match barrel which you have to have cut to length, re-crowned, threaded (and it’s threaded a fair way, like 2 inches, and it’s a fine metric thread) and if you’re using it on a v12 you’ll need to drill 8 popple holes (Maybe 12 but I think the 4 in the comp are after the crown) and of course you’ll need to fit it to the slide (mainly the pad on the side of the hood from memory). 

Its a fair bit of work. Fortunately last I checked the barrels were cheap. It’s like a $100 barrel that needs $200 worth of machining and fitting. Lol. 

Then theres the fact that your main barrel lockup surface at the muzzle is the aluminium cone that’s part of the comp/sleeve. Cone lockup is somewhat forgiving I guess but it’s still not ideal in my eyes. I guess on the plus side it’ll be the aluminium cone wearing out and not the slide...

Edited by BeerBaron