Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any 2011 pistol smith in Houston?

sandflea316

A few years ago I had Triangle Shooting Sports build me a 6" .40 limited gun.  Shortly after that I wanted to get into open major and had Benny build a 9mm open off the same lower.  I kept the .40 top end knowing I may want to go back to it.

Well earlier this week I decided to sell the 9mm open top end and go back to limited major.

Well installing the .40 top, the slide does not slide go back all the way to even install the slide release.

No longer leave near Corpus so hoping to find someone here in Houston to troubleshoot it for me.

Hello, not sure if you are trying to install the complete slide/barrel setup all at once? First I would try the barrel in the frame with the slide stop to see if it moves freely in the frame slot. There maybe a burr on the frame? Next install the barrel in the slide with out the bushing onto the frame. Install the slide stop and bushing and see if you can hand cycle it. Lastly install the barrel and guide rod in the frame without the bushing. Install the slide stop spring and the bushing and see if it works now. If not you will have to see where it is binding. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, not sure if you are trying to install the complete slide/barrel setup all at once? First I would try the barrel in the frame with the slide stop to see if it moves freely in the frame slot. There maybe a burr on the frame? Next install the barrel in the slide with out the bushing onto the frame. Install the slide stop and bushing and see if you can hand cycle it. Lastly install the barrel and guide rod in the frame without the bushing. Install the slide stop spring and the bushing and see if it works now. If not you will have to see where it is binding. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I'll give it a try and report back thanks 

2 hours ago, 021411 said:

Try reaching out to Lone Star Innovations. Glenn is in Spring. 

I contacted Glenn about a year ago for a build but he wasn't taking on any work. 

Recently we drove by his location on Loueutta and it didn't even look like his shop wasn't there anymore.

I did send him an email yesterday 

Ok, but barrel on frame with slide stop pin in.  Moves freely.

Next tried barrel in slide without bushing and can not get slide to retract all the way back.  Lots of resistance.  

I use permanent marker on barrel and tried again.  Nothing got rubbed off.

9 minutes ago, sandflea316 said:

I contacted Glenn about a year ago for a build but he wasn't taking on any work. 

Recently we drove by his location on Loueutta and it didn't even look like his shop wasn't there anymore.

I did send him an email yesterday 

He recently did a small job for me. He’s near Spring Guns and Ammo. Unmarked.. 

Just to update on everything.  With barrel only and slide stop pin in, it moves freely.

With bare slide, it moves freely on frame.

With slide, barrel and stop pin in, there's a lot of resistance and can not fully retract rearward 

Ok, pretty much narrowed it down to the barrel.  

Everything was sitting in storage and I guess even though it was stainless steel there was build up on the steel as it no long had the mirror shine luster.  

So I sanded and polished it for a few hours where it was slick and had a mirror polished shine.  Put the pistol back together and now can rack it completely and it's just as smooth as I remember.

I guess I forgot that it's a 2011 with tight tolerances and not a glock.

Thanks for the help everyone 

• 2 months later...