Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decided to try PCC and need advice

So I figured I am not getting any younger so I would give PCC a try. I just bought a lower Receiver and I am looking for an upper but a lot of places are sold out. But while I am looking I would think the lighter the better or am I wrong. Any recommendations would be appreciated. As far as sight's should I go iron or red dot I am 65 so the eyes are not like when I was 20 but I also have never used a red dot sight.  And any recommendations on either iron or red dot sights.

Thanks

g, lighter can be better depending on where the weight is.  My PCC plus red dot weighs 5.25 lbs. and has a 5.5" barrel with a shroud to bring it to 16".  Since all the weight is between your hands, it transitions like lightning.

A word of caution on your upper search.  Not everything works with everything else.  So do your due diligence, or buy from someone who will let you return it if it doesn't work with your lower.

I am not a builder of guns. A lot of folks are and like to experiment with all sorts of buffers and triggers. If that's your thing, that's good. If not be forewarned you can spend as much if not more chasing components that all work together just right as buying a JP or MPX where the Mfgr. has figured all that out already.

I built my own with a JP upper/lower/BCG and combination of other mfrs for the rest.  It just wasn't worth it to buy a complete rifle with the amount of stuff I was going to change out.  Most is the same stuff I have on all my other rifles and just what I like and what I'm used to.  On the weight question, some people seem to like super light rifles.  But personally, I don't want something that feels like a plastic squirt gun.  I just don't find that beneficial in any way.  I'd say compact and light is the way to go, but in moderation.

If you already have a lower, I would look at Taccom.  I'm not sure of his stock , Tim is a member on the forums and lurks from time to time.  He makes great stuff at reasonable prices.  I have 3 of his barrels for my PCC's

Edited by stick

What kind of lower did you get? Just a mil spec AR or PPC specific?

I have built and bought guns. If you like to tinker building is way cheaper. Even buying the MPX or JP you will find yourself wanting to change stuff around just because.

If you are looking to go cheap there is the Ruger PCC gun or heaven forbid a keltec sub 2000

I have not heard much about these but bet this would be a fun one to try. And they always seem to be in stock too

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-v-16-9mm-1-10-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-pistol.html

No matter what you do you will have a blast shooting PCC - you definitely want a red dot, maybe two and a green laser beam to aggravate those that think PCC is a crime...

Good luck

4 hours ago, Chillywig said:

What kind of lower did you get? Just a mil spec AR or PPC specific?

I have built and bought guns. If you like to tinker building is way cheaper. Even buying the MPX or JP you will find yourself wanting to change stuff around just because.

If you are looking to go cheap there is the Ruger PCC gun or heaven forbid a keltec sub 2000

I have not heard much about these but bet this would be a fun one to try. And they always seem to be in stock too

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-v-16-9mm-1-10-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-pistol.html

No matter what you do you will have a blast shooting PCC - you definitely want a red dot, maybe two and a green laser beam to aggravate those that think PCC is a crime...

Good luck

Pcc is gay Andrew. 

• 2 weeks later...

Check with Tim at Taccom....I got one of his barrels and bolt groups from him and am very happy with the results...have have a few falures to feed but worked that out by retarding the bcg travel with a blocker in the buffer tube....Tim offers 5.5 10.5 and 16 inch barrels....the shorter barrels have aluminum shrouds and feed ramps with a hood....think 1911 barrels and the bolt is cut for the top of the barrel extention,  Total weight is 5.4 pounds and the ETX mags feed and are drop free.

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t say one bad thing about my JP’s. One of the best out there. Buy once cry once! 
personally I’d stick with what’s known to work. I started off with a cheaper PCC and ran into nothing but issues. Sent that PCC back in to the manufacturer and they gave me a full refund no questions asked. I purchased a lightly used JP for around $1200 and haven’t looked back. I’ve since then bought 2 more. They’ve all ran flawless. 
I’ve heard great things about MBX PCC’s as well. 

If one were to choose an MPX I would buy new and make sure it’s a Gen III.  First generation MPX had a few issues, but everyone running Gen II and newer seem to be pretty happy with them. Many they have used the Gen II and Gen III say they would go with the Gen III. Do your homework before buying an MPX.  Sig seems to have fixed all the issues when they came out with the Gen III.  

I have ave a JP and it never has issues as long as I do not load to long of an OAL for TTI mag extensions on the Glock mags. That is a mag issue and not a JP issue. The JP has had zero issues. MPX and similar designs do interest me. Waiting for JPs JP5 (their MP5 version of a PCC) to be released before checking out any other PCCs. 

Edited by Boomstick303
  • 3 weeks later...

I ended up going with a Foxtrot Mike upper and lower and a Holosun 510 C red dot. I have competed in some matches and practiced at the range. A little over 1000 rounds and not one malfunction or failure to feed. I love the forward charging handle and the price, it was all total under a 1000 bucks.