Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

classic revolver reload times.

Warrior75

Have to ever timed your classic revolver reload times? What's your best? Dry fire or live fire? Weak hand or strong hand loading? What loader are you using? I have some bubberized Safariland comp III's that I have made. I can time that they are faster than stock. Never tried a jet loader vs. Comp III's.what are your thoughts? 

I like the bubberized Comp IIIs and believe my reloads are better because the base of the loader never has caused a bullet to drop out of the cylinder during reloading. Roger Davis, the guy that first started bubberizing was a club member and was nice enough to share his knowledge with everyone. 

Jet loaders were fantastic when you could get them.  I liked the exposed spring and I think they release the ammo faster.  I've also noticed on a good reload the loader would jump over my head.  

I'll just state under 2.5 seconds on my best days with loaders.  

8 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

I like the bubberized Comp IIIs and believe my reloads are better because the base of the loader never has caused a bullet to drop out of the cylinder during reloading. Roger Davis, the guy that first started bubberizing was a club member and was nice enough to share his knowledge with everyone. 

Jet loaders were fantastic when you could get them.  I liked the exposed spring and I think they release the ammo faster.  I've also noticed on a good reload the loader would jump over my head.  

I'll just state under 2.5 seconds on my best days with loaders.  

Do you think the rubberized comp III are better than jet loaders? Strong or weak hand loading?

7 minutes ago, Warrior75 said:

Do you think the rubberized comp III are better than jet loaders? Strong or weak hand loading?

I always did the weak hand reload.  It's really a toss up on to which is better.  I found them to be equal but the jets became hard to find.

1 hour ago, MWP said:

Sub 2 is possible. I’d think a consistent 2.25-2.5 in matches would be enough to win anything. 

You saying last shot to first shot of the new cylinder? 

Shooting classic last-to-first in A class I can manage a 2.4-2.8 pretty easy.

The biggest issue IMO is getting everyone out. If you’re limp on the extractor and you get one that doesn’t eject, or worse, under the star...

Another hot take: Cut down comp IIIs aren’t faster. They do load more consistently and the rounds don’t get caught up in the plunger as much, if ever.

6 hours ago, MWP said:

Sub 2 is possible. I’d think a consistent 2.25-2.5 in matches would be enough to win anything. 

Let's just cut to the chase here.

This is an old video too - Josh can load that thing faster than most people can reload with moonclips. 

6 hours ago, RangerMcFadden said:

You saying last shot to first shot of the new cylinder? 

Shooting classic last-to-first in A class I can manage a 2.4-2.8 pretty easy.

The biggest issue IMO is getting everyone out. If you’re limp on the extractor and you get one that doesn’t eject, or worse, under the star...

Another hot take: Cut down comp IIIs aren’t faster. They do load more consistently and the rounds don’t get caught up in the plunger as much, if ever.

Yes, last to first.

Josh does a 2.50ish right there and he’s won everything. 

I feel that the most effective measurement time of the reload is from the last shot in the cylinder into the first GOOD HIT on the target. There's a lot of hand manipulation going on there and if the FIRST SHOT

Ok... I hit the wrong key on the above post... going to where I left off on the FIRST SHOT after the reload, I would say there is a lot of hand manipulation with either Strong or Weak hand reloading, and if the hands don't get back to the proper firing position the fast reload time does little good if you screw the pooch on the first shot after the reload. I think reload time should be measured from the last shot in the cylinder to the first GOOD hit after the reload. That would show, and the score would reflect, that the reload was properly done. YMMV 

19 hours ago, AzShooter said:

It's got to be A-zone hit to A-zone hit or it doesn't count.  I agree with GOF.

On what target? At what distance?

If you're working with too difficult a shot, there's too many variables to really concentrate on the reload. Walk before you run.

On 2/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, AzShooter said:

USPSA A-Zone at 10 yards.

My point was that aiming harder after the reload is a match skill, not a reloading skill. If you want to improve your reload you need to concentrate on the reload, not everything else. Hand speed, removing unnecessary movements, these are important to a reload, aiming is not. Put the target at 5 yards if it helps you concentrate on what you're training on.

58 minutes ago, PatJones said:

My point was that aiming harder after the reload is a match skill, not a reloading skill. If you want to improve your reload you need to concentrate on the reload, not everything else. Hand speed, removing unnecessary movements, these are important to a reload, aiming is not. Put the target at 5 yards if it helps you concentrate on what you're training on.

Good point, just remember to also run a few drills with the focus on speed of reload, but ending with an A hit.  It is so easy to get wrapped up in the speed part and get sloppy with the shooting.  Kind of like doing draw and fires at 25 yards with A hits after practicing close up draws.

Especially in ICORE, what good is a fast reload without hitting the A-Zone?

You must be fast but accurate.  If you miss the A you have to add a second or two to your time.  A half second slower A hit is much better than cutting 1/2 second off your reload and missing the A.

4 hours ago, AzShooter said:

You must be fast but accurate.  If you miss the A you have to add a second or two to your time.  A half second slower A hit is much better than cutting 1/2 second off your reload and missing the A.

The time plus paradox...

If you shoot a half second faster, you'll usually hit the A, and across an entire match you'll be faster.

Shooting faster does not mean you must be less accurate. Shooting slower means you will be slow, but it doesn't guarantee improved accuracy. If you want to get faster, you must first accept that you will make mistakes while learning to shoot faster.

Edited by PatJones

9 hours ago, AzShooter said:

And the single hardest thing for me to do!