Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a RFPO case to take to the line...

mniels

The case I have right now uses a velcro flap for the magazine pouches, and there is nowhere to wrap the flap around to keep it from closing.  So it is a PITA when grabbing a magazine for my next string.  I have considered just cutting off the flap, but that seems like an extreme solution.

The one issue I have with finding a case is size.  My pistol is close to 11" long and also uses a 90 degree mount for the C-More, so it is also wider than normal. I am thinking a simple clamshell case with a pocket for the pistol would work best.  I like the 5.11 pistol case, but I don't think the length is quite big enough.  Sometimes it is hard to tell on dimensions, because the only ones listed are for the exterior.

What are you other RFPO shooters using?

36 minutes ago, BentAero said:

I believe Tandemkross is about to release a new larger version of their popular pistol bag. You might check on the status.

I actually have the current model of that bag.  It is a great back, just not ideal for what I am looking for with that velcro flap.  I will keep an eye out for it, though.  Thanks!

I'm partial to the Midway pistol bags:  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939160870

That being said, they also have a flap that velcros over the mags, so you might not like it.  I haven't had a problem with the flap staying open, though.

I like being able to bring bag and all mags up in one simple bag, with the mags being held separate from the gun's zippered compartment.

Since it holds 7 mags, you easily have enough for a stage plus extras just in case.

Normally throw some oil, a bore snake, and some other items in the back pouches for emergency cleaning purposes.  I like 'em.

I have the plain jane Midway case with the velcro flap, and don't have a problem with it staying open... I lay the case so that the flap is to me, with the bottom of the bag away, and so far it stays flat... the pistol is oriented muzzle forward when I leave home, and I use the pull tabs to indicate orientation...I remove the pistol first, than un-do the flap.... I have noticed that some of the ladies have covered a large portion of the flap velcro with duct tape, leaving about 1/2" or so as to make it easier to open

On 2/22/2021 at 6:48 PM, mniels said:

The case I have right now uses a velcro flap for the magazine pouches, and there is nowhere to wrap the flap around to keep it from closing.  So it is a PITA when grabbing a magazine for my next string.  I have considered just cutting off the flap, but that seems like an extreme solution.

For about $4 you can fix the bag so the flap stays open.

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Industrial-Conditions-Professional/dp/B00JJPPNHM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

51Z1TRGt8OL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Fold the flap over so the velcro side is towards the bag and stick the appropriate half of the velcro patch onto the bag where the flap velcro meets the side of the bag.

If you're worried the patch won't stick, put some Shoe Goo on the adhesive side of the velcro patch.

https://www.amazon.com/Repair-Adhesive-Fixing-Shoes-3-7-Ounce/dp/B002L9AL84/ref=sr_1_3

00e20755-9041-4b8b-83bb-cb7bfc8c3c4e._SR

I carry my RFPO in a midway bag.  I carry my mags on my belt in mag holders i got from tandemkross.  Once i remove pistol from the bag and get set in the box I do not have to move my feet until I am finished shooting.  Works well for me - rather than having to move and reach for my next mag.

3 hours ago, Flageo said:

I carry my RFPO in a midway bag.  I carry my mags on my belt in mag holders i got from tandemkross.  Once i remove pistol from the bag and get set in the box I do not have to move my feet until I am finished shooting.  Works well for me - rather than having to move and reach for my next mag.

I actually thought about getting some of those TK mag pouches.  They also make mag pouches for the 10/22 mags.  But that would be ALOT hanging off of a belt.  I am considering the mag caddy that Bill Striplin makes:  https://striplincustom.com/product/striplin-custom-magazine-caddy/

I think that might be the best solution if you are shooting rifle or pistol.  You could have the pistol in a holster, then walk to the line with your rifle bag and the mag caddy.  I wasn't considering it before just because I wasn't shooting rifle at all and it seemed like overkill.

I have the Tandemcross bag and what I do is open the zipper on the gun butt side a little more than  half way, then open the mag flap, mine lays flat. After the make ready command slide the gun out. Do your thing and after each string put mags back in their holders. After ULSC put last mag into holder, and close flap,  slide the gun into bag, zipper it up. All done.  Just make sure you don’t sweep yourself.

I have the TK mag pouches for 10/22 and SW Victory and Glock all on a cheap belt I bought from Amazon.  I don't use this for USPSA, only SC.   I just rotate the belt as needed for which division I am shooting.  As I am left handed and typically the table is awkwardly on my left side, I really like having the mags on my belt.  I don't have to mess with my foot position or worry about the table at all.   Sure, I get a few comments about the 360 degrees of belt with pouches, but it works great for SC.  

Less sheet on the table is a good thing as it rains, snows, and wind can all create complexity.   I put the mags into the belt when I'm on deck and away I go with my rifle or pistol bag.  

Different approaches work for different folks.  See what works for you.

3 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I have the TK mag pouches for 10/22 and SW Victory and Glock all on a cheap belt I bought from Amazon.  I don't use this for USPSA, only SC.   I just rotate the belt as needed for which division I am shooting.  As I am left handed and typically the table is awkwardly on my left side, I really like having the mags on my belt.  I don't have to mess with my foot position or worry about the table at all.   Sure, I get a few comments about the 360 degrees of belt with pouches, but it works great for SC.  

Less sheet on the table is a good thing as it rains, snows, and wind can all create complexity.   I put the mags into the belt when I'm on deck and away I go with my rifle or pistol bag.  

Different approaches work for different folks.  See what works for you.

With the TK pouches for the 10/22, can you detach those so that there are only five, or are you stuck with the six?  I always thought that was an odd choice as I would think the majority of people would be using that system for SC, and so only would need five.

I shoot with a guy who has holsters for Production and Limited on the same belt.  He shoots one, the un-velcros the belt and rotates it around to the other holster.  It looks funky but it is effective!

Yes you could cut one off, but I always bring 6 mags to the SC shooting box ( except Outer limits = 5 );  In the event I get a reshoot of a string, have a gun malfunction / jam that I end up ejecting a bunch of rounds prior to shooting, or other issue, it is good to have 6 mags.  I often see a shooter have to reshoot a string and then either reload a mag from the half empty mags, or yell to a buddy.     

for the 10/22 I use a Plano  tray for fishing lures... it has multiple compartments...holds six mags with wooden bumpers installed... partitions for oil bottle, allen hex wrench to fit the mag axis bolt, 2032 spares, adjusting screw driver, spare chamber flag..I unload ammo loose in the partitions when done... will hold a couple of 50rd boxes, snap closure

I have a small plywood shelf attached to the umbrella support on my 3 gun cart used for SC... makes a convenient loading position