Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division Shopping in 2021

HCH

Does anyone else find themselves division shopping in 2021?  I moved right when things got out of hand last year and failed to order primers. Therefore,  I have about 3x more LPP than anything else. 

I have been shooting SS exclusively for the last 8 months at club matches. I signed up for a major and there are 6 shooters out of 225 (including myself) listed in SS. As such, I am considering shooting SS at the club level and Limited at majors this year, unless SS has a large presence.

Anybody else in a similar situation?

Yes, in a different direction. After shooting CO last year mostly with factory ammo because I stocked up when it was cheap. Now that it’s not and my supply is dwindling, I only have a couple k of Winchester and cci primers. I have plenty of Federal but want to save them for Revo.

I've shot 45 in single stack for years. Went ahead and got a limited gun last year just to shoot something different. Started loading 40 for it. I could continue to shoot either of them if I want to because I'm in good shape with components. But now I'm going to start shooting more 9mm in limited at monthly's because I get about 1,000 more bullets in a case compared to 45. And I've got brass.

Not shopping because I have nothing that uses a LPP.  In fact, traded off all my LPPs for SPPs.

What I'm doing is being much more selective of which level 1 matches I attend, strictly limiting live fire practice to a set number of rounds/month, making much more use of dry fire, and shooting a lot more long range rifle than in the past (both CF and RF)

11 hours ago, HCH said:

Does anyone else find themselves division shopping in 2021?  I moved right when things got out of hand last year and failed to order primers. Therefore,  I have about 3x more LPP than anything else. 

I have been shooting SS exclusively for the last 8 months at club matches. I signed up for a major and there are 6 shooters out of 225 (including myself) listed in SS. As such, I am considering shooting SS at the club level and Limited at majors this year, unless SS has a large presence.

Anybody else in a similar situation?

Why are you concerned about the small numbers in single stack? There is enough to have division recognition. They may not award high B class, but that's just a participation trophy anyway.

17 minutes ago, PatJones said:

Why are you concerned about the small numbers in single stack? There is enough to have division recognition. They may not award high B class, but that's just a participation trophy anyway.

If I'm spending three days shooting and working a major, I want to shoot against more people than 4 B-class and 3 C class SS shooters.  

If you want to have lots of competition, CO, Limited and PCC are all on the rise.  Closest 

to your current Single Stack is Limited.  Personally I'm shooting 

Single Stack for a while to conserve my dwindling JHP supply for major matches. 

If I ever win the F5 race at MG or PD I'll be back to Open. 

I switched to SS last year after Nationals because I wanted to improve my % overall at the next SS Nats. I enjoy it so much that I got a Limited gun coming. More Dakka! 

I probably will only shoot Minor in 2021 for the CO and 2 gun nats and practice for those. I should have started in Limited, tbh. Might have to switch to SS exclusively if more small primes are not forthcoming after summer. I can always find large primers.

I cant decide what division I want to shoot ever. Have a great limited, CO, and SS guns. Plenty of primers and almost no powder. Luckily i stocked up on ammo from NC Shooters when times were good enough to not reload. 

56 minutes ago, leam said:

I'm looking at trying Limited with my mostly Production SIG P320. Skill wise I'm still bottom of the rankings, but Limited means fewer mag changes, I think.

FWIW, consider staying in Production where your equipment is most competitive and embrace “the mag change” and hone your skills, then move to the very competitive Limited division.   The reality is you will still be at the bottom of the rankings shooting Limited minor with a Production pistol.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:43 AM, Bakerjd said:

I cant decide what division I want to shoot ever. Have a great limited, CO, and SS guns. Plenty of primers and almost no powder. Luckily i stocked up on ammo from NC Shooters when times were good enough to not reload. 

It’s great to have so many options when reloading components are scarce.  

27 minutes ago, RedlandsShooter said:

FWIW, consider staying in Production where your equipment is most competitive and embrace “the mag change” and hone your skills, then move to the very competitive Limited division.   The reality is you will still be at the bottom of the rankings shooting Limited minor with a Production pistol.

Oh, I'm getting lots of practice on mag changes. My thumb keeps hitting the slide release lever when the mag is empty, so I have to reload from slide forward. Did a couple of stages today and it happened three or four times.

18 minutes ago, leam said:

Oh, I'm getting lots of practice on mag changes. My thumb keeps hitting the slide release lever when the mag is empty, so I have to reload from slide forward. Did a couple of stages today and it happened three or four times.

Dont go to slide lock. 

I've just cracked down to Open and Carry Optics depending on ammunition and component availability. I am happy that mag pouch positions are not different between the two divisions now. Keeps the positions consistent between divisions. 

I'll likely Stick to CO it's that alpha glock trigger is as good as they say it is. Have a gen 5 preordered and will pick one up for my gen 4 production gun if I like it.

For all the new rule changes, I like the mag pouch one the best. I was looking at getting back to limited but saw I have 10k 9mm bullets and only 2k of 40 so I'll likely burn through my 9mm this year.

1 hour ago, leam said:

LOL, sounds like you are having a good time though!

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Find a bullseye shooter worried about his primer supply and swap for SPPs.  That's what I did, and he was tickled pink to get them.

Not a bad idea....

4 hours ago, UpYoursPal said:

I'll likely stick with Open this year, but will occasionally dabble in limited if I can get .40.  Limited is more of a fun novelty than anything.

Heck, if I could still see iron sights I'd have never left Limited.  That being said, I like Open.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 8:49 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

Unless something completely off the wall happens, I'm not moving from CO. 

I am making a short detour to Production this month and next to prep for the Mitten low cap match then back to CO after the first weekend of May.

🤣🤣 This has become my plan except I'm shooting SS and then getting into CO. And hoping to make B in SS right before the Mitten Match.