Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1000 rounds review of the STI DVC Open in 9 mm Major

StefVanHauwe

14 hours ago, BadShot said:

I have a couple of STI DVC open guns in 9mm.  1 has 7500 rounds and the other about a 1000.  No issues at all.  There are 4 other STI open guns at our club, so far no issues.  I email STI and asked them if they would continue to honor their warranty and they said yes. We shall see.  I sometimes wonder if some of the issues with the bad guns came from the owners modifying them, especially with steel grips.

Talk is cheap. Be prepared to be let down.

Well I am shocked at all the bad mouthing of STI Guns.  Granted mine are all older than some of you.  My first slide to crack was at about 90,000 rounds, and I was on the 2nd barrel.  I had another slide crack on another one but that was at around 60,000 rounds.   My oldest started out as a Briley custom, I replaced the STI Slide with a Caspian, so I'm sure the slide will outlast me, since the frame has 100K plus rounds on it I made it my steel gun and only shoot 150pf ammo in it.  I replaced the other slide with a Brazos slide was cheaper than having a blank butchered up to make it lighter, it is also a Caspian.

In all my shooting I have had one comp crack, it was the cone on a cone comp, and the Legendary Benny Hill said it was caused by the gun builders poor fitting of the cone.  He installed the new Dawson Todd Jarrett comp and yepper the gun feels so good now, and ties the holes together at 25 yards.

What I learned from all of this is not to TriTop the slide all the way and leave some meat on it in critical areas and no square edges.  Maybe all those fancy fashion accessory cuts on the DVC are the issue. 

Edited by CocoBolo

4 hours ago, BadShot said:

How much does it cost to replace a slide on an open gun.  Nothing too fancy, but good quality pieces.

I'm sure it varies by smith quite a bit but I would figure in the neighborhood of a grand or so. most likely your going to want a new barrel to go with the slide so figure $200-$300 for the barrel, $250 for the slide then labor to fit barrel to slide to frame + whatever cuts you want/need then coating. 

8 hours ago, BadShot said:

How much does it cost to replace a slide on an open gun.  Nothing too fancy, but good quality pieces.

$1,134 to replace the slide on my Pro Sx a year and a half ago (including a mild warranty discount)