Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1000 rounds review of the STI DVC Open in 9 mm Major

StefVanHauwe

5 hours ago, Kema said:

Problem is that you cannot do 10K review cause compensator os slide will crack :D

There’s a reason the company changed names and sells guns to a different market now.

Even in the USA their reputation is garbage. Unless you’re one of the guys who spent a lot of money on one and refuse to believe that you wasted it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Not an open gun, but my CO pistol has around 5K on it with no issues.

Wasn't aware sti made a co legal gun. Are you referring to a slide mounted sa gun that would be only allowed in open division? 

3 hours ago, NoSteel said:

IDPA Allows...

Thanks,  wasn't aware as I don't shoot idpa. BTW I'm not a sti hater my trubor still shooting strong  but is now a back up gun.  If I could pick up a 9 major dvc for a good price id pick it up,  (I'm a 38sc shooter) 

39 minutes ago, Acsr said:

Thanks,  wasn't aware as I don't shoot idpa. BTW I'm not a sti hater my trubor still shooting strong  but is now a back up gun.  If I could pick up a 9 major dvc for a good price id pick it up,  (I'm a 38sc shooter) 

I hope that "good" price is very close to free. Because the rest of the money will be needed to continually repair it. 

1 hour ago, Bdh821 said:

STI kept sending me new guns and theyd break the comp between 2000-6000rds maybe.  I don't really remember as it was a few years ago. 

Just search for DVC open cracked comp.

Thanks, luckily I have 2 other Open Guns, so a broken DVC barrel/comp won't stop me from shooting 🙂 

2 hours ago, Bdh821 said:

I broke 10 DVC Open comps... yes, 10

One of the guys I shoot with cracked the slide on his .38SC DVC Open a couple years ago and sent it in to STI they "rebuilt" it and the comp cracked after a couple hundred rounds, he still shoots it but has retired it from competition

Still cant replace mine on warranty and someone had 10 :D It's been almost a year💩

I always wonder how their Open team can keep on shooting? Maybe they have gone Atlas/Bul with Staccato stickers on slide😂

Any idea how Bullesteros are handling the strain?

On 2/24/2021 at 12:59 PM, Kema said:

Still cant replace mine on warranty and someone had 10 :D It's been almost a year💩

I always wonder how their Open team can keep on shooting? Maybe they have gone Atlas/Bul with Staccato stickers on slide😂

Any idea how Bullesteros are handling the strain?

My primary Open gun is a Bullesteros in 9 mm major. To date no issues. Check out my 1000-rounds review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOY_4PyKClU

• 3 weeks later...

Well you guys are making me sweat. I have 1 open gun that I love shooting and guess what, it is a DVC Open in 38 SC. Has anybody had good luck with theirs? I love my gun but like I said, you guys now have me worried.

Well, If I was an owner of a DVC Open, I would bring it to the most respectable gunsmith I could find (with thorough 1911 / 2011 knowledge) and have him check if the fitting of all components is correct. Maybe simple problems that could result in cracking slides / comps can be mitigated by him. 

It would definitely make me feel 'better'.  ( unless you possess that knowledge yourself, ofcourse)

I see a new one here for sale (in the netherlands) for US$ 5,675.-  If you're gonna spend that...  having to pay a gunsmith to look it over shouldn't be a problem. 

And, I would be very vigilant about condition of my springs, (definitely test them with spring tester) and be 100% sure that I use a reloading recipe that would be least 'harsh' on the gun. (as far as that's possible with major loads....)

Also the combination of your Firing Pin Stop plate and Main Spring can have a major impact on velocity of your slide, but that should be covered by the first point (the knowledgeable guy who's going to check the fitting etc. of your gun. )

Edited by WFargo

On 2/20/2021 at 10:18 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

There’s a reason the company changed names and sells guns to a different market now.

Even in the USA their reputation is garbage. Unless you’re one of the guys who spent a lot of money on one and refuse to believe that you wasted it.

That is nuts.  STI had some of the nicest guns available at their price point.  The name change has ruined the company and their reputation.  I can't believe they discontinued the Edge, do you know how many dozen of them are in holsters at every area match?

I don't shoot open and I feel sorry for the OP since I doubt "Stocatto" or whatever they call themselves will care about his STI Open gun.

This sort of stuff came up on a different forum that I go to from time to time, and a representative from STI/ staccato was on there. The way he made it sound, if you have an issue with an STI gun you should give them a call. I'm not saying they're going to fix it or anything else, but I would definitely give them a call if I had trouble. Which makes me wonder if anybody has tried to send their STIs in for work after the name change, has anyone?

18 minutes ago, RJH said:

This sort of stuff came up on a different forum that I go to from time to time, and a representative from STI/ staccato was on there. The way he made it sound, if you have an issue with an STI gun you should give them a call. I'm not saying they're going to fix it or anything else, but I would definitely give them a call if I had trouble. Which makes me wonder if anybody has tried to send their STIs in for work after the name change, has anyone?

STI had a pretty generous lifetime warranty.  Absent a bankruptcy, I don't think "Staccato" would have a leg to stand on if they refused to make it right.  I hope I never have to use it though.

I have a couple of STI DVC open guns in 9mm.  1 has 7500 rounds and the other about a 1000.  No issues at all.  There are 4 other STI open guns at our club, so far no issues.  I email STI and asked them if they would continue to honor their warranty and they said yes. We shall see.  I sometimes wonder if some of the issues with the bad guns came from the owners modifying them, especially with steel grips.