Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Die Selection - Swager

DirtBag

Good Evening all - 

I'm new to progressive reloading and am working to create a setup very close to Gavin Toobe's setup on "WARP SPEED! Loading 9mm on the Dillon RL 1100 with Mr. Bullet Feeder" see here

My question is - 

In station 3 he states he's using a Swager (with hold-down) die, which one is it? Or which one would you recommend for SPP (link please)?

I will eventually be doing 45 ACP and .223 so will need to clean other pockets as well but I'm most concerned with the initial setup.

Any thoughts or suggestions here?

Thanks

Edited by DirtBag

I’m using FW Arms Auto-centering swage foot die for .223 and stock Dillon swage foot die for 9mm. In the video you linked, he’s using the stock Dillon swage foot die for 9mm. It’s the same one I’m using and it’s what came with the 9mm conversion kit for the 1100 and 1050.

I found out that using the stock Dillon swage foot die for 9mm prevents the case from being “stuck” on the MBF funnel. It  flares the case deeper and allows for smoother reloading session by preventing the bullet form tipping over.

FW Arms auto-center-swage-foot die

Edited by George16

4 hours ago, George16 said:

FW Arms Auto-centering swage foot die for .223

Nice. 

When using FW Decapping Die what station are you sizing the brass?  Are you using these dies in the same pass as sizing and trimming, or are you making 2 passes for processing?  

Edited by Boomstick303

7 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Nice. 

When using FW Decapping Die what station are you sizing the brass?  Are you using these dies in the same pass as sizing and trimming, or are you making 2 passes for processing?  

Thanks. Single pass.

For .223, my Bosch trimmer/sizing die combo is on station 6. Station 8 has the Lyman .223 M die to expand the case mouth. I actually have two FW Arms decamping die. The first one I bought was the regular Auto centering decapping die and then bought the Primer Popper Auto centering decapper which has the flicker spring inside.

The regular Auto centering decapper is on a separate tool head along with the stock Dillon pistol swage foot die and Lee U die for processing 9mm. The Auto popper decapper with flicker spring is on my .223 processing tool head.

Heres a pic of my tool head setup. 9mm on the left and .223 on the right. I put my extra Redding pro size die after the Lee U die just for the hell of it since it’s an extra I have laying around. Both of them dont have the decapping pins installed.

B8-FDD567-8-B0-F-4704-B693-A9963-F12786-

Edited by George16
Added info

1 hour ago, George16 said:

For .223, my Bosch trimmer/sizing die combo is on station 6. Station 8 has the Lyman .223 M die to expand the case mouth

So you are using the Bosch trimmer/sizing die to size and trim the case at the same station then.  You do not have any issues with case size when using this process I take it?  Also are you automated and if so what is your reliable throughput with this setup?

1 hour ago, George16 said:

The first one I bought was the regular Auto centering decapping die and then bought the Primer Popper Auto centering decapper which has the flicker spring inside.

Which one do you prefer and why?

13 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

So you are using the Bosch trimmer/sizing die to size and trim the case at the same station then.  You do not have any issues with case size when using this process I take it?  Also are you automated and if so what is your reliable throughput with this setup?

I don’t have any problems with .223 cases sized and trimmed at the same station. Just make sure the sizing die and trimmer are setup properly and the cases lubed to prevent any problems. Since there’s no decapping pin/ball in the sizing die for expanding the case mouth, I bought and installed the Lyman .223 M die at station 8 to expand the case mouth. Just make sure  the swarf from trimming the cases doesn’t buildup on the trimmer to prevent it from overheating.

I did a comparison against the Dillon Rt1500 on my friend’s S1050 and the Bosch is way quieter, more powerful and efficient. 

I’m not automated yet but have plans in doing so later on. 

Which one do you prefer and why?

I prefer the Auto popper decapping die with the flicker spring to ensure there are no primer pullbacks. Granted I have not experienced any using the regular FW arms auto centering decapping die. I bought to try it and ended up using it for .223 and installed the regular auto decapping die on the 9mm processing tool head.

31 minutes ago, George16 said:

Just make sure  the swarf from trimming the cases doesn’t buildup on the trimmer to prevent it from overheating.

Thanks!  All great info. 

Sorry for my ignorance, have yet to process any brass, what is "swarf"?  Is that the shavings waste created from trimming?

43 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Thanks!  All great info. 

Sorry for my ignorance, have yet to process any brass, what is "swarf"?  Is that the shavings waste created from trimming?

You’re welcome.

Yes, swarf are the shavings created during the trimming process.