Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I should have been DQed, but...

UpYoursPal

With the new woke and cancel culture. I will put on a match and the entry fee will be $100. You can send me the $100 and I will send you a score card showing that you were DQ’d.  This should make you feel better about yourself and you no longer have to feel bad about not being DQ’d in the past. 
I could use some help naming the match and spreading the word. I will donate half of the entry fees to Brian Enos Forms. 

🏻😁

I didn't get dq'd for this when I tripped. I knew it was sketchy and would have dq'd myself but I couldn't zero in on it enough on my phone to see. When I got home I went frame by frame and said 'oops'. at least you can see my finger way out on the slide.

vlcsnap-2017-09-18-10h03m52s152.jpg

I always dry fire at home or the hotel before a match. Sometimes with a snapcap in the gun. Twice I have heard make ready, once at a sectional match and once at a local, and racked out my morning's snapcap as I went to load my gun for the first stage. At the sectional the RO said, "Pick that up and put it in your pocket before I see it." I was able to keep shooting the match. At the local I was teased loudly and mercilessly. I asked if I had to go home and said I'd understand and instead I was allowed to shoot but was cursed at and made fun of all day. (Fair trade if you ask me, though no "legal")

Area 8 match,,, hosted at club I normally shoot at.
Every bay had some long benches in the shade... 11 months out of the year they are just long benches in the shade.   Safe area is by the bathroom...

For Area 8,,, they made those benches a safe area.......

I was chillin on the bench loading magazines like I have done past 11 months,,, but this time my back was to a "SAFE AREA" sign....   got a warning vs a DQ

At my first or second level 2 match, the stage is unloaded gun on table start position.  I step to the line.
Heard RO say something that I thought was "make ready", so I drew gun from holster and placed it on the table.
The "Make Ready" that I thought I heard was actually the RO saying something to the scorekeeper or someone in the squad.
RO then asks "do you understand the course of fire", which is my first clue that he probably didn't say "Make Ready"
"Aw, sh*t" goes thru my mind as I glance back at him.
He looks down at my empty holster, then sees the gun on the table, then looks at me, and I ask him, "Am I done?".
He just bellows "Make Ready" loud enough for entire squad to hear.

Local club match, RO calls me to the firing line (stand & deliver, multi-string stage with no movement).
I enter the box, RO issues "Make Ready". so I do.
Scorekeeper happens to call out the shooting order, and the current RO realizes that she is the NEXT shooter.
Current RO tells me to "stand easy", and asks for someone else to take the timer.
Another RO who's reloading mags says "I got it" ... but he's 20 ft away and continues to reload his mags.
Current RO leaves the line (and me at the line), sets timer on the other RO's bag, and goes to prep gear.
Seems like 30 seconds or so pass, and I suddenly realize that I will need another mag for the stage.
So I leave the firing line, go back to my bag, grab the extra mag, then realize...aw, sh*t - I'm still loaded.
I immediately head back to the firing line.
On my way back, I pass by the new RO and we walk in step to the firing line.
As I enter the shooting box, he sees my holstered gun with a mag in it.
He teases me with "now why the f*** do you have a mag in your gun?"  
I explain that the prior RO told me to make ready, so I did, then I remembered I needed another mag, so I went to my bag to get it.
"So, you're already loaded?"  Uhhhh, yep.  I'm done for the day, ain't I?
The look on his face said "you dumba**", but he just said "MAKE READYYYYYYYYY"

Lots of lessons in both of these for me.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:19 AM, rowdyb said:

I always dry fire at home or the hotel before a match. Sometimes with a snapcap in the gun. Twice I have heard make ready, once at a sectional match and once at a local, and racked out my morning's snapcap as I went to load my gun for the first stage. At the sectional the RO said, "Pick that up and put it in your pocket before I see it." I was able to keep shooting the match. At the local I was teased loudly and mercilessly. I asked if I had to go home and said I'd understand and instead I was allowed to shoot but was cursed at and made fun of all day. (Fair trade if you ask me, though no "legal")

I've done that one, but I shoot revolver so I caught it in the safety area when I took the gun out. I popped out the moon of snap-caps and pocketed it... and never made that mistake again.

And yeah, I think it's a fair trade to keep shooting at a local in exchange for merciless mockery ;) . That should be an official USPSA rule.

A while ago had a fancy rifle bag shaped like a coffin with red velvet liner labelled "Zombie Killer", for steel challenge.  Unzipped it after LAMR and somehow the bag caught the pistol grip as I flicked away the bag, spinning the rifle out of my hands and across the shooting bay. Both RO & myself looked at it, each other, and at it like some comedy before saying "have we learnt a lesson?"  Purchased a proper rifle bag the next day and have been unable to repeat this performance 😂 

These are good reads, keep 'em coming. 

My first Match ever. I knew some rules, but for sure not all. After my first stage I went over to  the "work area" (Safety Table) and was checking my gun, all looked good. Pulled out my ammo and started loading my mags 😜. An RO that I knew came over and politely stated "You can't handle ammo at the Safety Tables, you could get a DQ". Tossed everything away fast as I could and beat feet outta there. 

27 minutes ago, Lastcat said:

These are good reads, keep 'em coming. 

My first Match ever. I knew some rules, but for sure not all. After my first stage I went over to  the "work area" (Safety Table) and was checking my gun, all looked good. Pulled out my ammo and started loading my mags 😜. An RO that I knew came over and politely stated "You can't handle ammo at the Safety Tables, you could get a DQ". Tossed everything away fast as I could and beat feet outta there. 

That seems so quaint compared to some of the stories here

western states match in reno, back in like 1990.  match hotel, guys in room next to me dry firing.  one guy (a pistolsmith whose name i will not disclose) lit one off in the room. into the headboard of the bed.  propped up pillows the next day.  

44 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

western states match in reno, back in like 1990.  match hotel, guys in room next to me dry firing.  one guy (a pistolsmith whose name i will not disclose) lit one off in the room. into the headboard of the bed.  propped up pillows the next day.  

😆