Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best VV Powder

cbrussell

On 2/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, Squirrel45 said:

just to throw another wrench in it, what about WST or AA2  ;) 

Those are faster burning powders. While they will work, I usually reserve the fast powders for cast bullets. AA5 or AA7 are better choices.  As for VV, I use N340 quite a bit and it does very will with jacketed and heavy .45s. I also find the recoil, while still fairly stiff, is not as sharp as faster powders.

Faster burning powder typically produces less felt recoil.  That's why the standard for limited guns has always been fast powder + heavy bullet.  And that's not my opinion, it's science.  The formula is on SAAMI's web site if you want to confirm. 

18 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Faster burning powder typically produces less felt recoil.  That's why the standard for limited guns has always been fast powder + heavy bullet.  And that's not my opinion, it's science.  The formula is on SAAMI's web site if you want to confirm. 

I see no formula for felt recoil in SAAMI's web site, or anywhere else.  There is a formula at SAAMI's website for Free Recoil Energy, but that is not the same.  Energy = 1/2 times mass times velocity squared, but recoil is mass times velocity.

For the same power factor (which is recoil or momentum), most shooters agree that the felt recoil is less using a fast powder and heavy bullet.

Yes, you're correct.  I misstated.  The formula is for free recoil energy.  So it's actual, not perceived.  And from what I recall, for a given bullet weight and velocity (power factor) the only variable that changes the amount of free recoil energy is gas velocity, with gas higher velocity producing less recoil energy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 7:34 AM, Steve RA said:

Australian Clays is very good in 9mm and .45.  Only problem with it is if you don't have it, you aren't getting it.

Yep, I ran out of Australian last year, but 0.1 grains more of the Canada Clays is working well. Clays is clean, and works.