Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best VV Powder

cbrussell

I doubt it will be more accurate, but that depends on a lot of things, and maybe for your particular setup it will be.  No way to know for sure without testing.  Since N320 is more popular and easier to find, I used that for 9, .38, 40 and 45 and it works great for all of them.  Some people like the recoil impulse better from the faster burn rate of N310, but I never felt much difference between the two.  Or not enough to justify adding another powder to my inventory.  But if I had some N310, I would definitely use it.

I`ve been shooting .45 acp for yrs. all diff. bullet weights. used both 310 & 320. no discernible difference in accuracy

when comparing bullet weights. but if i had to choose one over the other...i`d opt for 310. just my preference.

On my last hunt for a new 45 powder (barely major, 200 gr swc loads) I strongly considered n310 as it has a good reputation for being on the cleaner side at my light loading levels.  However, I did find some forum commentary on temperature sensitivity that made me go a different route.  But that was way back when multiple powders were easily attainable...in July.

Edited by johnmyster

On 2/17/2021 at 2:14 PM, cbrussell said:

I use N320 for my 40 S&W loads but was wondering if N310 would be better for 45ACP recoil or accuracy wise?

I would definitely use N320.  I shot N310 under 200 LSWCs for two years.  It is inconsistent in soft loads.  It gets good one you go over VV's max listed load.  Accuracy is good with a 200gr at anything 780 fps or over.  If you are uncomfortable going over the published load, then don't bother.  It is horribly temperature sensitive, so you'll have to adjust your load for Winter.  If you are not hung up on VV powders, consider Alliant e3.  It is a superb powder for 40 minor and major and 45 target loads.

I've shot a lot of N320 for my 9s and .38s but bought a 4 pound keg of 310 by mistake.  I loaded 10 rounds and then forgot about it until recently cleaning the garage.  I was surprised at how many loads are available for the .45 with 310.  If I were still loading I'd use it up.  Instead I decided to sell it for what I paid for it a few years ago.  

There is a lot of load data for N310 on line.

43 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Bullseye still works great.  5 shot groups under half inch at 25 yards were the norm with Bullseye and 200g LSWC (H&G 68).

sure does, sometimes i think we think about the newest and greatest when great powders already exist.... Im guilty of this though as well 🙄

10 hours ago, cbrussell said:

“Johnmyster,” what powder did you end up using?

e3.  So far, I'm as happy with it as I was with WST.  I have yet to run enough to know if it's any cleaner.  This spring will tell.  (WST was pretty clean.)  My goal is a 200 gr SWC at 840 fps.  

I'm under the impression that there are a half dozen powders I'd be happy with, so why not try to get one that keeps the velocity spread down, case fill up, and a smell I can tolerate.  (My quest for clean was based on a cranky gun this summer.  The gun ended up having an extractor on the way out, which got resolved.)

I was never unhappy with bullseye, but all the unburned powder on my sweaty arms...

Edited by johnmyster

14 hours ago, johnmyster said:

e3.  So far, I'm as happy with it as I was with WST.  I have yet to run enough to know if it's any cleaner.  This spring will tell.  (WST was pretty clean.)  My goal is a 200 gr SWC at 840 fps.  

You will have no problem doing that with e3.  It is clean, very consistent and doesn't stink when fired.  I use it for my bullseye load and get SDs in the 4-5 range.  It also exhibits no temperature sensitivity.

On 2/20/2021 at 10:42 AM, zzt said:

You will have no problem doing that with e3.  It is clean, very consistent and doesn't stink when fired.  I use it for my bullseye load and get SDs in the 4-5 range.  It also exhibits no temperature sensitivity.

To digress...I think my limitation with e3 may be consistency of metering in the Dillon measure if I want to see SD<15, ES<50.  Time will tell.  Probably also time to ditch the Dillon beam balance.

Edit, further digression and response to perttime's reply...  My desire for tight velocity spreads (making power factor) is not connected with any perceived need to improve perceived accuracy for my application.

Edited by johnmyster

50 minutes ago, johnmyster said:

To digress...I think my limitation with e3 may be consistency of metering in the Dillon measure if I want to see SD<15, ES<50.  Time will tell.  Probably also time to ditch the Dillon beam balance.

The Dillon powder measure is not as accurate as the Hornady.  I currently reload on a Hornady LnL.  My bullseye load returns 5.35 SD with WLP and 4.97 SD with CCI 300.  ES is 13 and 12 respectively.

• 3 weeks later...

N320 .... been the Fav since mid 2000’s without Doubt... want a alternative?... Ramshot Competition    It’s a Sleeper ....switched long ago in 45 and 40.... no regret   Not good at all in 9mm.    But in 45... clean and can use a little less!  And today That is important!!

H

Edited by HHjr
Fix things I typed

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2021 at 10:21 PM, HHjr said:

N320 .... been the Fav since mid 2000’s without Doubt... want a alternative?... Ramshot Competition    It’s a Sleeper ....switched long ago in 45 and 40.... no regret   Not good at all in 9mm.    But in 45... clean and can use a little less!  And today That is important!!

H

I haven’t tried many powders, but will add RSC stays clean, even in my Weenie Hut Jr loads for 200 or 230gr. It meters very well on my 650.