Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 stock for steel challenge

Squirrel45

Hello fellow CT / Nutmegger;   I'm an experienced SC shooter.  Happy to help out.    Until you get the feel of what you like and don't, stay simple.  Buy a Hogue rubber stock as they are light and work great.   Most important is trigger ( Kidd single stage is best ).   Red dot or Irons is up to you.   

It doesn't matter, as long as it fits you.  

I've found the Magpul stock works well for me and is cheap.  I set the LOP a bit on the short side vs. a hunting rifle and I got a riser kit so that my cheek weld and the Cmore dot line up right.

I've shot the Tacsol thumbhole stock and I like it a lot.  I've shot an Axiom stock and it was fine.  The Hogue stock is really nice as well.  The chassis systems are very cool.

When I'm rich, when the rifle is holding me back from the next .1 second, or when I feel like upgrading beyond what I have now I'll probably get one of Todd's systems - again for the adjustability of it (Willand).

As others have said get some matches under your belt..... I also would say a good trigger is number one on the list and a Kidd single stage is often the bench mark but others have their favorites.... brimestone does wonders reworking stock triggers and if you are mechanically inclined kidd and others have drop in parts for a stock trigger improvement.... the black hawk axiom is a reasonable light weight stock used by many shooters and has a LOP adjustment... also is in the $80 range so is budget friendly... but can be hard to find right now.... after that I would change to a Wiland barrel as taking weight off the front is a major improvement in getting fast transitions... if you start looking at the full chassis route then I recommend Wilands chassis as it is light and super adjustable to get the right fit... good luck and have fun  here is mine

Rick 2021.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

if you shoot an AR platform for other gun games, a PMACA chassis will allow you to add an AR adjustable stock and grip to your 10/22... there is virtually no fore end... a added a section of 1913 rail to the fore end, and use an angled fore grip... index down the barrel with my weak index finger as I shoot shot guns.... 1692822011_002(4).thumb.JPG.979a1f6e1771ae149afd2d645a91c0a3.JPG

All a matter of personal preference. I just built a 10/22 and was excited for the TacSol Vantage stock. After I got it I didn't like it. Didn't fit me like I had hoped. So I went with the Wiland chassis for it's adjustability. I'm looking to sell the Vantage...