Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 9mm 1911 running sluggish

bossk95

35 minutes ago, RickT said:

That's in the ballpark if you've already replaced the ILS Mainspring housing.  The mainspring selection is also influenced by the radius on the firing pin stop. 

Mainspring housing is the Dawson Ice, the springs should be here today or tomorrow, unfortunately I won't be able to test fire them for a couple of weeks

One other thing that I did not notice anyone mention was lube or how clean the pistol is.  The springs will help and should get you where you need to be spring wise.  Get some Brian Enos slide glide and don't be afraid to use it. Rails, barrel lugs, bushing, as well as a good liquid lube. Don't run it to dry. I use the B/E light and Advanced Weapons and Technologies lube.   Do the springs and lube and you will be running fine. If that does not help, you may have another small issue.

17 hours ago, troupe said:

One other thing that I did not notice anyone mention was lube or how clean the pistol is.  The springs will help and should get you where you need to be spring wise.  Get some Brian Enos slide glide and don't be afraid to use it. Rails, barrel lugs, bushing, as well as a good liquid lube. Don't run it to dry. I use the B/E light and Advanced Weapons and Technologies lube.   Do the springs and lube and you will be running fine. If that does not help, you may have another small issue.

This is the only gun I am religious about keeping clean and lubed, I can get 600 rounds through it and it starts having problems anything past that and it won't run at all, at Area 3 I clean it every four stages to make sure it runs

• 4 weeks later...

I live in a cold area as well and I make sure I use the lighter range slide glide in the cold weather on my 9mm RO.  If it's 30 degrees or below, I will just oil the rails and monitor that during my cold shooting sessions.  My 9mm RO is heavily modified, and I use a lighter slide spring and run 145 grain Bayous with 100% reliability.  Good luck, it's a great gun and you'll find the answer.

• 1 month later...

Definitely also check your extractor tension. You mentioned that it is sluggish on "lock up" which sounds like it might be hanging up a little as it goes into final battery. If your extractor tension is too high there is a point in the cycle where the resistance to the case inserting under the extractor hook will eat up too much of the slide momentum as it eats up energy to shove the case under the tight hook when they pop out of the magazine.

Also check that your disconnector is moving up and down smooth and easy... badly tuned disconnectors/sear spring middle leg will chew up slide momentum and feel like a point of hang up on the slide when you cycle it by hand.

All 1911's are finicky and require tuning... extractor, disconnector, springs, polishing... pay attention to all of these elements and any 1911 can be made sweet... actually, ultra-sweet.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:34 AM, bossk95 said:

This is the only gun I am religious about keeping clean and lubed, I can get 600 rounds through it and it starts having problems anything past that and it won't run at all, at Area 3 I clean it every four stages to make sure it runs

600 rounds and the gun wont cycle any more? Very hard to belive. I go 1k before cleanings a lot and even more then that on 1911s and have never had one stop working. Bul, Para, Dan Wesson, SA, Ect.... with any SA 1911 the first thing I do is swap out their crapy extractor for an aftec, put a 17lb MS and 9 or 10lb recoil spring in. Then usually take the stock internals out and toss em and out EGW/EE internals in and tune trigger. I'd be looking at disconnector and see if its catching the slide as it comes forward. I usually chamfier the leading edge of the track it rides under on the slide. Helps smooth out cycling a lot. I have gone as far as machining a ramp into it on one gun. Another thing to check is if hammer is hitting the top of the beavertail when slide is back. And see if barrel link moves freely. 

My last one I had was 9mm loaded model and I ran that gun in the mudd/rain at the 2019 or 18 SNS400 all day 400+ rounds, never cleaned a mag or the gun. Ran 100% all day. 

Edited by Bakerjd

• 4 weeks later...

As previously mentioned, to get the timing of the gun right, assuming the metal on metal lock up contact points are not jacked, look at a comination of the recoil/hammer spring.  I ran an 8lbs recoil spring with 147 Blues and TG; I ran Fed SPP ( oh what a distant memory when it wasn't a big deal to do that) and took an 11lbs hammer spring and cut 2 coils.