Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 9mm 1911 running sluggish

bossk95

I've got a Springfield loaded target in 9mm and every load I've ran through it seems fairly slow and sluggish on the lock up.  I've tried 115s, 124s, and 147s with various powders and none have really ran as quick as i feel like it should be, 115s with CFE pistol give the best results but it's pretty snappy.  Anyone have any suggestions to help?

if by  "sluggish"  you mean it doesn't cycle as quickly as a some other 9mm pistols then it is likely nothing. Full profile 1911 slides are heavy by comparison to most 9mm pistols and as a result have a more sluggish feel, you can play with main and recoil springs to change that a little but in the end a heavy slide will never feel as snappy as a lighter one. That said a heavy 1911 slide that feels sluggish is still done cycling and ready to fire way before you are, think in the .06 seconds neighborhood so snappy may be .05 you may feel like its slow but it actually isn't.

40 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

if by  "sluggish"  you mean it doesn't cycle as quickly as a some other 9mm pistols then it is likely nothing. Full profile 1911 slides are heavy by comparison to most 9mm pistols and as a result have a more sluggish feel, you can play with main and recoil springs to change that a little but in the end a heavy slide will never feel as snappy as a lighter one. That said a heavy 1911 slide that feels sluggish is still done cycling and ready to fire way before you are, think in the .06 seconds neighborhood so snappy may be .05 you may feel like its slow but it actually isn't.

What should I be looking for if I play around with the springs? Lighter or heavier? Or just what ever ends up feeling better?

2 minutes ago, bossk95 said:

What should I be looking for if I play around with the springs? Lighter or heavier? Or just what ever ends up feeling better?

If ILS I would put in a regular main spring cap and spring

I run a 19 lb main spring

recoil on mine are 9 or 10 pounds. 

in the end its all what you like and what works with your grip to have the gun return to point of aim, 

On 2/17/2021 at 11:11 AM, shootin-blanks said:

I run #10 up front and 17# down below.

135g SNS @ 130+pf

Ditto on ammo and mainsprings.  One of my guns is fine on 10# recoil springs and one has a little more headroom on an 11#.

Make sure the extractor geometry, tension, and deflection aren't goofy, and that it isn't rotating and flopping around.  An extractor that's bumping all over the rim during feeding will slow down the feed cycle too.

If you're going to do 9mm 1911s seriously (or 1911s in general) then order a bunch of three packs or ten packs of springs that work from wolff and put them in your new gun acquisitions so you know what's in there.

And buy or make a spring tester for recoil springs.  I see 20% variance from brand to brand and sometimes almost as much within a brand.

Edited by johnmyster

42 minutes ago, johnmyster said:

And buy or make a spring tester for recoil springs.  I see 20% variance from brand to brand and sometimes almost as much within a brand.

That is why I only use ISMI or Sprinco.  Wolff is all over the place. 

I had this same issue with my Range Officer in 9, changed both springs got it down pat fairly well. However I will say I prefer the impulse of a CZ75 much better then the 9 in a full size. I know this is not about that but I would just note that since that was 'huh' moment I had. 

5 hours ago, echotango said:

That is why I only use ISMI or Sprinco.  Wolff is all over the place. 

I strangely had eactly the opposite experience.  Wilsons (ISMI?) were consistent, but low.  Springco were 10% to 20% low.  Wolf was within 5%.  With a tester...at least you know.

6 hours ago, johnmyster said:

I strangely had eactly the opposite experience.  Wilsons (ISMI?) were consistent, but low.  Springco were 10% to 20% low.  Wolf was within 5%.  With a tester...at least you know.

I guess they all make springs on a Friday afternoon..... 

😄 I actually ordered Wolf springs because Adam from Atlas says they're the most consistent and often don't need to be cut to prevent coil bind. 

The 9 lbs springs I ordered were both 8 lbs on the spring tester, by the way...

Trigger guage range is too low.  You want to test to a repeatable length of 1.625".

$12 scale from amazon.  Verify it on occasion using some water jugs.

Guiderod is 1/4" because it matches the ID of the spring almost perfectly.  Threaded enough to hold a washer and nut on the end.  There's another washer in the end of the PVC (held there by the cap) to give the spring something flat/square/even to sit on at both ends.  I have marks on the side of the board to quickly measure the relaxed length of the spring...should be 6.5".  Slots in the lower stop allow adjustement of compressed length for the jig.  Short piece of pipe is cut to exactly 1.625" and is used to set compressed length of the jig.

Crude but took the guesswork out of dealing with my 9mm guns (not feeding if springs get too weak) and 45 guns (fail to lockback if spring to stiff for whatever ammo.)

tester1.thumb.jpg.e5b07dff1147d3bc5accef41f37cd571.jpg

tester2.thumb.jpg.70914fa61ecbb84477df03808aec83d4.jpg

Edited by johnmyster

12 hours ago, johnmyster said:

Trigger guage range is too low.  You want to test to a repeatable length of 1.625".

$12 scale from amazon.  Verify it on occasion using some water jugs.

Guiderod is 1/4" because it matches the ID of the spring almost perfectly.  Threaded enough to hold a washer and nut on the end.  There's another washer in the end of the PVC (held there by the cap) to give the spring something flat/square/even to sit on at both ends.  I have marks on the side of the board to quickly measure the relaxed length of the spring...should be 6.5".  Slots in the lower stop allow adjustement of compressed length for the jig.  Short piece of pipe is cut to exactly 1.625" and is used to set compressed length of the jig.

Crude but took the guesswork out of dealing with my 9mm guns (not feeding if springs get too weak) and 45 guns (fail to lockback if spring to stiff for whatever ammo.)

tester1.thumb.jpg.e5b07dff1147d3bc5accef41f37cd571.jpg

tester2.thumb.jpg.70914fa61ecbb84477df03808aec83d4.jpg

Awesome thanks for the guide, getting the scale ordered now

I only run IMSI springs. One day if they get inconsistent I'll go to sprinco. Wolff has never been less then %20 off when I've tested, with the same gauge adam uses. He also yells you in the video he buys them by the hundreds.... there is a reason for that. I had Ryan Spemcer build me a 1911 using a Springfield Loaded 9mm. Swapped out the ILS MSH for a dawson one with magwell. Tuned it up, ran very very well. In face it's one of two guns I regret selling. Recoil spring was 9lb. Ammo was right at 131PF 147gn blue bullets. I tried from 7lb to 11lb. Tried 15lb, 17lb and 19lb main springs. Ended up with 17lb. Tried a rounded bottom firing pin stop and angled one. Liked the round one better. Ended up putting an Aftec extractor in it as well. I had around 3500 rounds through it when sold. 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:16 AM, bossk95 said:

Ordered a 9# and 10# recoil spring and a 17# main spring, see what happens when they get here

That's in the ballpark if you've already replaced the ILS Mainspring housing.  The mainspring selection is also influenced by the radius on the firing pin stop.