Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I decided to start loading 223. And wanted to do it on the cheap. I considered buying the dies for my 1050 but changing over would have been a major pain. I read some reviews on the Lee APP and decided to try it. I bought it ,a set of Lee dies ,a Lee powder measure and hand primer. I also bought the multi tube case feeder. If you take your time, pay attention to what you’re doing,the system works great. I decap and size using case feeder. I clean brass and prep and trim. I set the bullet using the the APP and crimp using the APP. I found that it is great little press for what I want to do. I actually had a lot a fun learning how to load 223. Just my .02.  JD

I have an APP and have been using it since last year.  My impression was that the press was designed for depriming, primer pocket swaging, bulge-busting and sizing lead bullets.  I've used it for depriming and swaging in 9mm and .40 S&W, mostly 9mm.  My process is to deprime, then wet tumble with media, then load on a progressive.  The less I have to handle any cases the better, and for me the APP works very well indeed as I can deprime hundreds of cases (using the Lee case collator with 4 collector tubes) in no time at all, and with very little effort.  For any of those purposes mentioned above, I think the APP is a great machine and a very good price point.

I have heard of a number of people using the APP for sizing at the time of depriming, both pistol and small rifle, and using the APP for complete reloading.  I don't have any experience with this, but have also heard reports that the pass-through shell holder can make the sizing process difficult as it doesn't contact as much of the rim as a standard shell holder.  I'm glad it's working for JDillon and others, but personally I'd use a single station or Turret press.  Just my take on things, YMMV.  Best of luck and good shooting to all!!

I got mine to process a bunch of 9mm. I started at first with decapping die but decided to stick a carbide Sizing die in the press and try that. Lubed up with One Shot I went thru 5000 pieces in short order. 

Once decapped/ sized I wet tumbled so now I have nice shiny sized to run thru my 650. 

This is such a neat little press;  I’ll be greatly surprised if it isn’t around for a very long time.  I think it hits a sweet spot of utility in many ways.  

i bought one on a whim, and will keep it for various uses.  I actually like it far more than my turret press!

On 2/19/2021 at 10:39 PM, rmantoo said:

This is such a neat little press;  I’ll be greatly surprised if it isn’t around for a very long time.  I think it hits a sweet spot of utility in many ways.  

i bought one on a whim, and will keep it for various uses.  I actually like it far more than my turret press!

I agree, easy to use. A fun inexpensive press. And really versatile. JD