Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3G rifle barrel recommendations

I'm still liking my Stretch16, but don't consider it cheap. I had a lilja (18") made early on and it'll shoot well under 1/2" at 100 yards with good factory or my handloads.

I've used some Odins, they make a light profile, and had good accuracy out of 3-4 of those now. 

I also have a couple faxons that have shot quite well in 16" with their gunner and pencil profiles 8 twist. I would absolutely buy another one of them, easily at or under 1 MOA with most decent ammo I've put through.

Final note, got my first BA, and was pleasantly surprised. Hanson series 8 twist - hangs in there with many much more expensive tubes and don't think it would hold most back as far as accuracy for run and gun.  That being said, I may have gotten a good one, but knowing others who have shot them and reading online I think they are doing some good stuff down there for the price!

There you have a few options across the price spectrum, I'm sure everyone has a list but that's my $0.02.

Right now maybe whatever is in stock is a good one to get though :) Kinda sad out there unfortunately, but with persistence you'll find what you're after

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Criterion Core barrels have the most interesting profile to me right now. They taper down to pencil profile slowly, so the mass is where it's needed for best distribution of weight and heat. Should be affected less by heat and still very light. Unfortunately the 16" version is not rifle length gas.

If money is a big concern, cut down what you have or a Faxxon gunner 18".

Edited by mrd

• 11 months later...

I highly recommend JP barrels.  I run a 16” and an 18” JP barrel in 3 Gun competition.  You will not be disappointed with a JP barrel.  I have a code to save you some cash at JP Rifles as well.

code: 68SS0717 

It will save you 10% on JP parts and 5% on complete rifles.

I have a Stretch 16 and really like it, but IMHO, is a bit more expensive than what is really needed.  If I were building one now, I'd probably choose between a Criterion CORE 16" or Criterion Hybrid Rifle Length 16" for the length you want.  Would lean towards the CORE, but availability with those is still an issue.

For the money 250+/- I really like Ballistic Advantage. If you want to spend more look at Bartlein or JP. Lancer used to put Bartlein's 17" barrels in a lot of their competition guns and most were 1/2"- 5/8"  MOA.

• 2 months later...

All of the ones recommended in this thread are good. Pick one and go with it. I have a 18" Criterion hybrid that turned out really well. Search their barrel installation guide on youtube and follow it. Lack of zero shift in your barrel is also important and much of that comes from the installation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, pwsmkaz said:

Get a JP Supermatch. It's hands down the best and their customer service is second to none.

Currently on my 3rd JP barrel for 3 gun. All 3 have been phenomenal. Every barrel coming with a new bolt is one point that is often overlooked. 

13 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

How many rounds are you getting on a JP barrel before its "shot out"?

In a 223? No idea. I gave one of mine to a friend getting into the sport and it was still shooting under 1/2" at 100 over 10,000 rounds.