Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Bullets .355" 147 FP Coating Chipping

I placed a couple orders for a couple cases with Blue over the past few months while I worked through the remaining bullets I had. I had shot ~1000 about a year ago, but they were RN and needed to be loaded too short for my S2, so I went with FP instead. I know so many people use them without issue, and I didnt have any issues with the ones I shot so I placed orders for 4 cases. I finally got through my remaining bullets and went to start loading some of the Blues today and found that tons of my bullets had the coating starting to chip off and that I could easily chip small portions of the coating off with my finger nail. Both near the bevel base, and at the FP edge. There were a few that even chipped off at the bearing surface. I checked 4 different batch numbers and to a certain degree all batches had that issue. I had also ordered 200gr 40 and those bullets did not have that problem in ~1500 bullets.

So, is this a common thing with Blues and the rest of the coating is strong enough that people dont get leading? or did I just happen a couple bad batches of bullets? That could be understandable during these crazy times with how many bullets their moving. I plan to reach out to BB depending on the response here. If its common I wont waste my time, but if not Ill send them an email.

Any input is appreciated

24 minutes ago, GMB said:

With increase in sales across the board QC was bound to get a little overwhelmed. I'm sure if you contact them they will make it right.

Thanks GMB, I totally understand that. They’re pumping out so many bullets and trying to keep everyone happy its not surprising. Probably cutting time off curing or something to decrease production time. But this is not normal for their Bullets then? 

3 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Thanks GMB, I totally understand that. They’re pumping out so many bullets and trying to keep everyone happy its not surprising. Probably cutting time off curing or something to decrease production time. But this is not normal for their Bullets then? 

I don't think the bare lead area are typical for blue bullets; i'd still shoot them anyways. I've loaded their 115rn, 147rn, & 147tc last year & I didn't see any chippings.

59 minutes ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

Blue seems unconcerned with the issue. I will start loading some up and see what the results are. As long as there isn’t excessive leading I’ll be happy. 

Blue Bullets seems to have taken the time to assess your situation and respond.  They said to go ahead and use certain ones and to pitch others, and they said why.  I wouldn't think of their response as "unconcerned". 

Stuff happens... 😏

6 hours ago, teros135 said:

Blue Bullets seems to have taken the time to assess your situation and respond.  They said to go ahead and use certain ones and to pitch others, and they said why.  I wouldn't think of their response as "unconcerned". 

Stuff happens... 😏

sorry, that may have been the wrong way to word it. I meant they weren’t concerned with the bullets condition, as in they don’t see it as a problem. I do appreciate them taking the time to respond and let me know what they thought especially when I know how busy they are right now. I have no problem if this is just something that happens to this profile, which is what I was wondering. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a manufacturing defect that they were unaware of and that I was going to have problems with. I just might take that into account and choose a different profile next time I order. 

I’m slightly upset my Bullets have exposed lead on them, but if they say they are good to load and I shouldn’t get leading then I’m fine with that. That’s all I was trying to determine. Hope that all makes more sense 

4 hours ago, teros135 said:

No problem.  I shoot thousands of the 147 FPs and have never noticed chips in the coating.  Either way, at Minor velocities I'm not going to worry about leading. Happy shooting!

Thanks teros. Again it might boil down to pushing too many bullets out the door, and hopefully by the time I need to order more all this crap is over. Wont stop me from ordering more, I was just wondering if it was common or not because I know some profiles are harder to produce than others and I could always get my barrel reamed to accept longer RN bullets.