Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time I've Seen This

RickT

9 hours ago, SeattleDude said:

Bulged brass from OPEN Gun is Fake News..... well unless that Open gun is Open Glock Gun. 😆

Common misconception is that Open Guns results in bulged brass.... It is SO Not true.

Properly built 2011 Open guns running 170+PF have Very Nice and Fully supported Chamber.

Brass (nickel or brass) that is shot out of my Open guns can be dropped in Wilson LE gauge and it will slowly sink flush under its own weight. Yes 170+ PF does work brass more, but it Does Not create bulged brass. That is the doing of garbage unsupported barrels that come in variety of mass produced pistols.

I don't disagree with you in any way, I just choose to not reload the brass from my open gun.  Despite my name in this forum, I shoot a ck arms open gun. A nice well built 2011, and all I can afford as a school teacher.  I did start with a glock, but no longer shoot major loads through it.  I shot at a range, where, the match director sells brass from there indoor range. 20 bucks per 1000.  I buy it, separate it by head stamp and load one head stamp at a time.  I have had the step, on some brass that has came out of my 2011 open gun, which is, at a power factor of 173.  CK arms, say you need a power factor of 172 for the comp to work properly.  They also say to not pus the of over 175. I case gauge every round before it goes to a match.  This is what works for me.

On 2/13/2021 at 4:51 PM, RickT said:

Dillon 1050 with a Mark VII, well past 150K rounds and these failures are new to me.  The two on the left are an F.C. and Xtreme case, probably range pickups.  My resizer left a very sharp lip on the bottom of the case.  Possibly this was bulged brass, not an issue with my press.

The one on the right is an S3 case.  I didn't even know these existed, but the upper component jammed in the resizer and the lower component fell off.  Someone must be actually using these things.  I had to remove the sizing die so I could pound out that upper part with a brass rod.  I'll just pitch "nickel" cases from now on.  Learn something new almost every day.

Strange Cases.jpg

I really wish people didnt thow out the NAS3 cases. They are far superior to brass.