Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time I've Seen This

RickT

Dillon 1050 with a Mark VII, well past 150K rounds and these failures are new to me.  The two on the left are an F.C. and Xtreme case, probably range pickups.  My resizer left a very sharp lip on the bottom of the case.  Possibly this was bulged brass, not an issue with my press.

The one on the right is an S3 case.  I didn't even know these existed, but the upper component jammed in the resizer and the lower component fell off.  Someone must be actually using these things.  I had to remove the sizing die so I could pound out that upper part with a brass rod.  I'll just pitch "nickel" cases from now on.  Learn something new almost every day.

Strange Cases.jpg

If you put a magnet on your case feeder tube, it will stop the s3 case. Or just don't pick them up. there are a lot left at our range that nobody picks up and whoever shoots them leaves them.

I also don't load xtreme cases. They create nothing but problems. Loading and in some guns. I now chuck them and all problems have gone away.  My evo would stop on the swage station when I used to swage every time there was an xtreme.

They lock up a buddy's open gun every time. He stopped using them and the problem went away. 

Edited by echotango

+100 on the magnet.  Pick up a D77-N52 or D77-N42 disc magnet like this 7/16" x 7/16" magnet and stick to the side of the spring clip that holds the feed tube from the case feeder.  Guaranteed to stop all magnetic cases.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D77-N52&cat=168

1 hour ago, Glock17open said:

The cases with the Sharp lip, were most likely shoot out of an open gun.  Those cases bulge due to the extreme pressure.  I shoot open in uspsa.  I avoid using brass that has been in my open gun for this reason.

That is fake news. Those lips are mostly due to no lube and udie combination. I loads my 9MAJOR brass over and over with a Udie. I also lube cases though. I rarely If ever see that problem anymore

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

That is fake news. Those lips are mostly due to no lube and udie combination. I loads my 9MAJOR brass over and over with a Udie. I also lube cases though. I rarely If ever see that problem anymore

Your news is fake, some people don't have a udie. And this is an issue.

3 hours ago, Glock17open said:

...says the guy with 107 posts to the guy with 23,922 posts.

🤣🤣🤣

There are quite a few variables to loading 9mm Major and case preparation is one of the critical steps.  If you don't do it right, you end up with loads that look like the ones posted by the OP.  Certain brass manufacturers are now creating cases with "stepped" interiors and others have thicker walls toward the bottom to specifically stand up to 9 Major pressures.  One of those is Xtreme

Loading for 9 Minor with these cases can be bad news, especially with a fast powder.  Case head separation can occur in a PCC that has a longer lock time (such as the Sig Sauer MPX).  Those cases can also create erratic chronograph results as the interior volume is smaller but was still charged with the same powder weight for a "regular" size case.

But hey... Glocks will shoot anything.  Have at it.....

BC

5 hours ago, Glock17open said:

Then buy a U-die.  I have loaded 100k+ major rounds with a U-die and have never had an issue as shown.  And I use the same brass over and over and over again. 

Edited by echotango

Hello: I think some of the dies out there don't have a nice radius on the leading edge of the die. It compresses the brass rather than sizing uniformly. I also have loaded alot of 9mm brass with a "U" die and never have had this problem. I do lightly lube my brass using the plastic bag method. I would take your sizing die out and look at the leading edge to see if it has a nice radius or is a sharp corner. I think some of the newer Dillon dies maybe a little too sharp. Another problem I had was that the carbide insert in the die was loose going up and down causing all sorts of problems but that was on a 38/357 die. I hope you figure this out. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, echotango said:

Then buy a U-die.  I have loaded 100k+ major rounds with a U-die and have never had an issue as shown.  And I use the same brass over and over and over again. 

I don't need the u die when I don't reload 9 major brass. I sort by head stamp and don't use any brass that has any defects that I can see.  I only load certain head stamps for major.  I used a lee fcd, I don't have any issues will any of the rounds l load.  I stated earlier that I avoid using my open brass repeatedly.

1 hour ago, Glock17open said:

I don't need the u die when I don't reload 9 major brass. I sort by head stamp and don't use any brass that has any defects that I can see.  I only load certain head stamps for major.  I used a lee fcd, I don't have any issues will any of the rounds l load.  I stated earlier that I avoid using my open brass repeatedly.

Nice of you to leave your trash brass for others!  LOL!  

On 2/13/2021 at 12:51 PM, RickT said:

Dillon 1050 with a Mark VII, well past 150K rounds and these failures are new to me.  The two on the left are an F.C. and Xtreme case, probably range pickups.  My resizer left a very sharp lip on the bottom of the case.  Possibly this was bulged brass, not an issue with my press.

The one on the right is an S3 case.  I didn't even know these existed, but the upper component jammed in the resizer and the lower component fell off.  Someone must be actually using these things.  I had to remove the sizing die so I could pound out that upper part with a brass rod.  I'll just pitch "nickel" cases from now on.  Learn something new almost every day.

Strange Cases.jpg

On 2/15/2021 at 11:11 PM, snowshooze said:

By the way, I don't understand the terminology... "Open Gun"

That doesn't bring much to mind. 

Thanks,

Mark

On this website it characterizes a gun with an optical sight and compensator - defined by Open Division USPSA/IPSC rules. 

5 hours ago, AKJD said:

Determining someone’s competency by their post count is a bold strategy.

Actually it's not the post count, it's the post content. @Sarge has been in this game for a while and reading what he has posted, he provides insight based on his experiences.  He takes the time to pass on that knowledge.

We are all human.  Humans make mistakes.  IMHO there are two ways to learn.  Make a mistake and learn the hard way or listen to others that have been down the same road and learn from their mistakes.

BC

1 hour ago, BillChunn said:

Actually it's not the post count, it's the post content. @Sarge has been in this game for a while and reading what he has posted, he provides insight based on his experiences.  He takes the time to pass on that knowledge.

We are all human.  Humans make mistakes.  IMHO there are two ways to learn.  Make a mistake and learn the hard way or listen to others that have been down the same road and learn from their mistakes.

BC

Well said.

3 minutes ago, snowshooze said:

Thanks Superdude.

I don't get out much...

Google 'open gun' and check out the pictures. Lots of them.  They are the quintessential race guns. 

Edited by superdude

If you look at the OPs left and center cases in his photo the base diameter above the extractor groove is much larger than the inside diameter of the sizing die.

If these cases were sized with a standard die then a undersize die would make this look much worse.

What is the base diameter measurment just above the extractor groove on these cases? If its over .3910 then my guess is the case bulged due to high pressure, or the inside diameter of your die is on the small side.

OdQtq5m.jpg

The cases were sized with an undersize die, same one I've been using for a long time.  Just hadn't ever seen this before.  Too bad I don't know what the cases looked lie before processing.  I usual put 100 or so cases in a cardboard tray, quirt with case lube and shake.  I'd have a fair chance of seeing a bulged case, but obviously didn't see these. 

Bulged brass from OPEN Gun is Fake News..... well unless that Open gun is Open Glock Gun. 😆

Common misconception is that Open Guns results in bulged brass.... It is SO Not true.

Properly built 2011 Open guns running 170+PF have Very Nice and Fully supported Chamber.

Brass (nickel or brass) that is shot out of my Open guns can be dropped in Wilson LE gauge and it will slowly sink flush under its own weight. Yes 170+ PF does work brass more, but it Does Not create bulged brass. That is the doing of garbage unsupported barrels that come in variety of mass produced pistols.

Only time I've seen brass like the one with the ledge is when I was using a Lee carbide resizing die.  

Switched to a set of RCBS dies with a carbide sizing die and am much happier.  

The Lee die really undersized the brass.  Real coke bottle look to the finished round after bullet seating/crimping.  Tremendous amount of effort to resize the brass, too.  Like resizing rifle brass but with 9MM.