Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Shirt for matches?

JatCarver

Ok, so this is a dumb question but it's been on my mind. 

I'm looking for a good shirt to wear at matches.

I've been a sponsored shooter for the last 5-6 years and always had a jersey. I'm getting out of the sponsorship thing(I hate social media part) and need a shirt that is good for matches. 

I'm a tall guy and always liked how long the jerseys were, never had any issues with them coming untucked. 

Looking for suggestions on what works well for you? 

Basically would like a long polo style shirt with similar fabric as a techwear jersey.

I would think any golf type polo would fit this bill as they are all moisture wicking with most also stretchy now. I'm tall as well, 6'3, and find that length is an issue for me with any shirt as there doesn't seem to be any standardized length to an XL shirt so you'd probably need to look around a bit.

I would still just buy a TW shirt in the tall version. I like the material from TW the most. But if you don't want to go that route see if you can find a big &tall clothing store for polo shirts

I just googled extra long polo shirts and there are several options out there. Amazon has a bunch but from what I can see the higher quality ones are around $65. For that price I would just pony up more for TW

Edited by Sarge

For the summer months I bought about three of these. It's all I wear at a match. No branding, no statement, no (real) logo. Performance tee. It has checked all the boxes for me. 

Oh and they are pro our industry. Which many of the "big" national brands are not. 

https://www.511tactical.com/511-recon-charge-short-sleeve-shirt-ws.html

Edited by j1b

2 hours ago, j1b said:

For the summer months I bought about three of these. It's all I wear at a match. No branding, no statement, no (real) logo. Performance tee. It has checked all the boxes for me. 

Oh and they are pro our industry. Which many of the "big" national brands are not. 

https://www.511tactical.com/511-recon-charge-short-sleeve-shirt-ws.html

I like that

IMHO .. I think these Columbia PFG Polo Shirts are outstanding for shooting. They are light ... hang nicely and are vented in the back. 

With the vent ... when you move your arms there is no tension/resistance ..

They come in long or short sleeve but all mine are short sleeve. I have used separate uv sun sleeves with the shirt at times (mix colors).

In the winter I have used them with a compression thermal undershirt and stayed plenty warm ... no bulk ... no movement tightness/resistance.

Different colors are different prices ... there is always a color on sale. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NL4LEQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089MUPLK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

im 6'6 and about 300 so i sweat like a whore in church. 

I just use an underarmor short sleeve or any dry wicking material shirt. 

i find polos too stiff and restrictive of movement. 

We're talking about polos made of the same dry wicking material that the shirts you use are made of.  Aside from a collar that you can flip up to shield your neck from the sun, there is no difference between them and a t shirt made of similar material.

If nothing else, I find the open v neck of a polo cooler and more comfortable than the crew neck of most t shirts

Now cotton polos, yeah they suck when you're sweating big time.

23 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Long sleeve fishing shirts are the way to go.  They're light weight, made with cooling fabric, provide sun protection, and are offered in lots of style options.

This is my shirt of choice. I buy the hooded ones so I can protect my neck on really hot days (along with a hilariously large fishing hat when I RO).

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

We're talking about polos made of the same dry wicking material that the shirts you use are made of.  Aside from a collar that you can flip up to shield your neck from the sun, there is no difference between them and a t shirt made of similar material.

If nothing else, I find the open v neck of a polo cooler and more comfortable than the crew neck of most t shirts

Now cotton polos, yeah they suck when you're sweating big time.

Oh ok yea I mean if they are the same dry wicking material then yea that works. I like open v necks of that dry wicking material 

I tried the fishing style shirts and hated the overall baggy feel. Especially in the sleeves. My choice is any dry wick material in short sleeve. I then use a pair of the cooling/spf arm sleeves under it. There are a number of brands on amazon for dirt cheap.