Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post 92X Performance LTT Trigger Job Result

WildPete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 12 lb hammer spring in mine, no other changes other than the Wilson Combat short reach trigger (stock trigger was a reach in DA for my dainty fingers).

DA is 3 lbs 14.0 oz, SA is 1 lb 11.2 oz average over five pulls.

The reset is amazingly short, and once I got the locktite on the overtravel screw loosened I got the overtravel eliminated too. 

Only other work I've done to the gun is grinding the thumb safeties to make it fit in the USPSA Production gun box. It's an amazing gun that doesn't need much other than some spring tuning to be really nice. Super accurate too. 

Now if some company would come out with a decent textured G10 humpback grip to give it the classic grip feel, (the grip Beretta provides is garbage). the gun would be perfect. 

13 hours ago, Gobot said:

Is it possible to get such low trigger pull weights on a 92fs.

My Brigadier with the LTT trigger bar, springs, and W/C short reach trigger is close to the same.

The 92X Performance started out better, but they're pretty close now.

Edited by robertg5322

On 3/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, robertg5322 said:

Now if some company would come out with a decent textured G10 humpback grip to give it the classic grip feel, (the grip Beretta provides is garbage). the gun would be perfect. 

THIS!  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

13 hours ago, Gobot said:

Is it possible to get such low trigger pull weights on a 92fs.

Before this and the Shadow 2, I wouldn't have thought it was possible to get DA trigger pull weights so low and still be reliable.

The LTT trigger bar is very similar to the 92XP bar, and the overtravel screw in the 92XP makes getting the slop out of the trigger in SA a breeze.

Don't know what Beretta changed on th

e 92X Performance, but trigger reset is very 1911-like. Slightly better than the Brigadier with LTT bar. Amazing when you consider that the firing pin safety is still functional.

Now if they or Lok, or VZ, or somebody would get me a nice humpback grip...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 3:08 PM, jgtr13 said:

What hammer spring did they use? They do very nice work. 

I was looking through my 92X Performance case yesterday and noticed the package the stock hammer spring was in. The stock hammer spring was in the LTT hammer spring baggy that had a label on it indicating 11lb.

• 7 months later...

I have a new 92x performance, and it seems to actually have a fair amount of trigger 'creep', much more so that my older 92 compact. Any ideas? Does it just need breaking in, or do I need to send it to LTT for a trigger job. I would have thought it would be super crisp straight out of the box, being their flagship model.

16 minutes ago, harley-dave said:

I have a new 92x performance, and it seems to actually have a fair amount of trigger 'creep', much more so that my older 92 compact. Any ideas? Does it just need breaking in, or do I need to send it to LTT for a trigger job. I would have thought it would be super crisp straight out of the box, being their flagship model.

In my experience creep doesn't go away. It may get smoother, but it's always going to be there. 

That said, can you say you're feeling it when you're pulling the trigger on the clock? I like nice triggers as much as the next guy, but when I'm shooting a course of fire, unless the trigger is ridiculously heavy, or the reset is ridiculously long, I can't say what the trigger felt like while I was pulling it. 

12 hours ago, harley-dave said:

I'm not noticing any creep with the LTT work, just a consistent break. I'd be curious if you were to send it off for work to compare it to your 92 compact.

There are difference in trigger feel with my Performance and Elite LTT (also has the LTT trigger job). The Elite, my carry gun, has a nice wall with a crisp break. With the Performance it has a wall but when you hit it, it's smooth like glass pressing through it. It feels sort of like a 1911 when slowly rack the slide as it glides on the rails. You have to be careful when staging the trigger on the Performance.

The 'creep' is felt primarily when just feeling the trigger action in a slow, dedicated dry fire mode. When shooting, it's hard to notice. That said, I also have a 1911 and 2011, and the trigger action is just so sweet with those, so I am particularly sensitive to a good crisp feel, i.e. smooth like breaking glass! I have done some light gunsmithing in the past and pretty good with hand tools and delicate work, and was considering working on the 92X trigger, just don't want to mess it up or make it worse. I was trying to look up on uTube for the correct areas and method to 'clean-up'.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, robertg5322 said:

I wonder if the Beretta G10 wrap around grip for the standard vertec grip shape could be modded to fit. It looks like taking about 1/4 inch off the bottom (and clearencing for the frame safety) would do it. I have one on my M9A3 and it is very, very nice. If I were to repeatedly grab it, set it back down and grab a standard 92 I suppose I could feel the difference. But in normal use the M9A3 w/ G10 wrap around grip feels identical to a 92.

Beretta 92X Full Size/M9A3/Vertec Wraparound G10 Grips

on my M9A3.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hK9XNF][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49058758783_38c39a6c17_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hK9XNF]20191112_160804[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

10 hours ago, CraigS said:

I wonder if the Beretta G10 wrap around grip for the standard vertec grip shape could be modded to fit. It looks like taking about 1/4 inch off the bottom (and clearencing for the frame safety) would do it. I have one on my M9A3 and it is very, very nice. If I were to repeatedly grab it, set it back down and grab a standard 92 I suppose I could feel the difference. But in normal use the M9A3 w/ G10 wrap around grip feels identical to a 92.

Beretta 92X Full Size/M9A3/Vertec Wraparound G10 Grips

on my M9A3.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hK9XNF][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49058758783_38c39a6c17_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hK9XNF]20191112_160804[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/152454123@N04/]craig stuard[/url], on Flickr

It can be modified, like you stated, you gotta take a big chunk off the inside of each side, then trim the bottom. I did it and they work great, only issues are they have a tiny gap in the backstrap where the two halves meet, and it has that "home-made" look. If I had a milling machine it would have been easy, but with a Dremel and some files, it's a lot of work. Feels much better than the cheesy plastic grip Beretta provides though, so totally worth the trouble.

Also I used the Hogue G10 grips, they were like $69.00. I figure if I forq them up, I'd rather they not be so expensive.

Edited by robertg5322

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 7:55 PM, robertg5322 said:

I have a 12 lb hammer spring in mine, no other changes other than the Wilson Combat short reach trigger (stock trigger was a reach in DA for my dainty fingers).

DA is 3 lbs 14.0 oz, SA is 1 lb 11.2 oz average over five pulls.

The reset is amazingly short, and once I got the locktite on the overtravel screw loosened I got the overtravel eliminated too. 

Only other work I've done to the gun is grinding the thumb safeties to make it fit in the USPSA Production gun box. It's an amazing gun that doesn't need much other than some spring tuning to be really nice. Super accurate too. 

Lok is working on humpback grips. Not released yet.

• 9 months later...

I got the LOK conversion grip for my 92X Defensive. It is shaped nearly the same as the Beretta conversion. I call both of them a golf ball grip. They also have a traditional shape grip listed. But, the golf ball is listed as thin, while the traditional is not listed as thin. I spent the $120 or so on the golf ball and don't like it. I am not going to spend another $120 to try the traditional. BTW, neither grip goes all the way to the bottom of the backstrap. They say they did so their upcoming magwell will fit. My email to them said I'd rather have to chop that 8-9mm of IF I got a magwell vs having the grip too short. 

On 12/26/2022 at 12:29 PM, mkmckinley said:

What little issues?

Mostly the feel of the beaver tail grip. It's different than the Brigadier I have in that it feels like it doesn't allow as high a grip on the rear of the frame. Makes the gun point a little low compared to the Brigadier. This and the long reach to the DA trigger until I changed it to a WC short reach trigger. The huge safety levers on the early guns was annoying too. And finally, why not include 18 round magazines instead of the 15 round units included with the gun?

All small issues, but I did say they were minor.