Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleanest bullet weight with Sport Pistol at max. load

I'm running an 8" barrel CMMG PCC.  I had hoped to use up several pounds of WSF, but the powder is pretty dirty and tends to foul the ejector spring (it's an AR implementation).  I've also got plenty of SP and can use any coated bullet weight.  Also, so little recoil that I can run up the the max; the gun is actually flatter with stouter loads.  It's easy enough to make some test loads, but I wonder if anyone has anecdotal or better info as to which end of the bullet weight spectrum would tend to be cleaner using SP.  FWIW the rifle is ok up to +P+ so I'm not concerned about going to max regular loads.

I have loaded tens of thousands of 9mm for our 1911s and already have a 1050 powder die calibrated for that powder.  I will run through some of the WSF in the 1911 in any case.

Edited by RickT

147s run the cleanest for me with SP.  At 130 PF it starts to get clean.  At 132 it is. At 140 and up it is spotless.  124s work okay as long as they are hot. 115s, not so much. That's too bad because I'm out of 147s.  I have 4500 124s and just under 8000 115s.  Guess I'll have to put up with a little dirt.

2 hours ago, RickT said:

I had hoped to use up several pounds of WSF, but the powder is pretty dirty and tends to foul the ejector spring (it's an AR implementation)

because PCCs for the most part are "blowback" it is my experience and understanding they run dirtier than a full lock.

I load for my son's PCC and I found it also depends on the bullet. Coated ACMEs were a whole lot dirtier than FMJ RMRs. 

I've got a decent number of 145RN and some 147FP in Bayou and Acme.  I'll load up 200 with SP and give those a try.  I'd like to go 500 rounds without taking the bolt apart, but it's no big deal with the jig for taking the tension off the ejector retaining pin.  It's amazing how dirty that channel can get.  The WSF is fine for my 1911 until used up.  It's dirty at soft loads, but actually cleans up easily.  Of course I won't run out of powder if primers don't come back in stock😟

14 hours ago, RickT said:

I'd like to go 500 rounds without taking the bolt apart,

I've shot 6 brands of factory ammo, plus my reloads using e3 and SP all season.  I've never taken my bolt apart and it is still clean as a whistle.  Maybe the black nitride helps.

The CMMG is a bit different using an AR ejector, but as it turns out it appears that the extractor pivot holes have been ovalized, perhaps due to lack of lubrication.  This would really effect the engagement between the extractor claw and rim.  I've stripped and cleaned the bolt and will install a new extractor.