Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-15 barrel length, gas operation/tubing, recoil discussion

Benevolence

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Silver_Surfer said:

Besides size is there any advantages over a 16" mid length?

Not really. The reduced size seems nice, but pretty unnoticeable once you're actually shooting. Velocity loss is almost negligible. Making it legal is kind of a pain, especially if you like trying out different brakes.

But really I don't like mid length gas till I get down to 13.7" barrels. Anything longer I want intermediate, till 16", then intermediate is minimum gas length and rifle gas is preferred. I've got a 15" intermediate and a 14.8" rifle gas and they are both way nicer to shoot than my three 14.5" mid gas barrels.

My next barrel project will be a 17" rifle +1" gas and then probably a 14" intermediate after that.

2 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Not really. The reduced size seems nice, but pretty unnoticeable once you're actually shooting. Velocity loss is almost negligible. Making it legal is kind of a pain, especially if you like trying out different brakes.

But really I don't like mid length gas till I get down to 13.7" barrels. Anything longer I want intermediate, till 16", then intermediate is minimum gas length and rifle gas is preferred. I've got a 15" intermediate and a 14.8" rifle gas and they are both way nicer to shoot than my three 14.5" mid gas barrels.

My next barrel project will be a 17" rifle +1" gas and then probably a 14" intermediate after that.

Thanks!

It was something I was thinking about because I never had one. To make things worst I would have to get a muzzle devise welded, pinned to make it to 16"