Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CK arms and Freedom gun works website

Glock17open

7 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I would hate to see what the vertical movement on that trigger would be.

If that's the fusion trigger not much. At least not on my cheely grip. The trigger track is not flush with the bottom of the inside of the trigger guard and thus leaves that open space. 

11 hours ago, Chillywig said:

Why would they need to buy CK or Freedom to make an in house 2011.

Wonder what the rest of the story is???

For a lot of businesses, it's much easier to expand through acquisitions than via organic growth.  Pretty sure MPA is maxed out as it is.  The acquisition gives them immediate access to a new and sizable market that probably wouldn't have been possible otherwise (at least not quickly).  So, assuming competent management, it could be a smart move.

14 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1J7DwJh3yw&feature=emb_logo

Says the frames are built in house by MPA but it has the CK logo on them. Why would they need to buy CK or Freedom to make an in house 2011.

Wonder what the rest of the story is???

Several reasons, they get the name recognition and some of the reputation.  Plus they get all the years of experience of CK/Freedom engineers and machinists that have eliminated all of the learning curve for MPA.  I don't know how many, if any of the CK/Freedom employees have moved to MPA, but I would suspect that there is at least some support from CK/Freedom for any start-up issues.

1 hour ago, Glock17open said:

I just sent Bobby a message on Facebook, I will keep you posted when he responds.

Bobby answered right away, he said the two companies no longer exist, He would help me out if I have any issues will my open gun.  Also master piece arms will be making open guns soon.

4 hours ago, touji said:

Interesting that they were acquired. I'm guessing MPA is a pretty reputable company in the rifle world?

Yes. They are well known in the bolt action and PRS world. Their bolt action chassis are very popular. 

11 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

Maybe they just needed Bobby out of the picture for one less competitor?  

Bobby isn’t “out of the picture”, he is now an employee of Masterpiece Arms and is building all of the pistols. 

37 minutes ago, louu said:

Is Bobby the guy that owns CK? 

When it began CK was a Matt Cheely/Bobby Keigans venture Hence CK. Then Matt opted out but kept making parts for Bobby who continued to build under CK name

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 1:50 PM, Glock17open said:

Bobby answered right away, he said the two companies no longer exist, He would help me out if I have any issues will my open gun.  Also master piece arms will be making open guns soon.

I am in the process of buying a CK open gun myself. Should I be worried that there will no longer be customer support?

11 hours ago, LmtdOne said:

I am in the process of buying a CK open gun myself. Should I be worried that there will no longer be customer support?

No worries. Bobby didn’t go anywhere. He’s there if you were to need him. 

1 hour ago, scooterj said:

No worries. Bobby didn’t go anywhere. He’s there if you were to need him. 

That is reassuring. I have heard good things about their products and him personally so I feel good about moving forward with the purchase. Thanks for the response.

14 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I have a cracked 90 degree C-More mount so who do I contact about a replacement? Thanks, Eric

Contact Matt Cheely.  (link) I've broken one and he asked where it broke.  After telling him, he replaced it.  Matt stands behind his stuff.

BC