Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TightGroup data feedback

thehudge

I've been trying to reach mid 1200fps with TG and 115jhp. I did it using 5.6gr of TG and 1.125oal for a 1258fps average Glock19.

While my spent primers are a little bit flat there is no other evidence of over pressure. 

Q: Does this sound safe to Y'all?  I can't find any information that says this is a safe load. but I like it.  

All I know is that the casing will explode at 7.8gr and you'll have to buy a new extractor and magazine release. Possible small cuts and embedded pieces of brass in the hands too.

I think most people will recommend you use a slower burning powder to avoid the Titegroup pressure spike. At 4.0gr, I think it's already near or at the recommended pressure limit. 

Max according to hodgdon is 4.8 for a velocity of 1158 out of a 4" gun. 

Like others have said, look into another powder. 6 grains of longshot or 7 grains of HS6 looks like your best bet. 

Let's take a very fast and hot burning powder, known for pressure spikes, and let's overload it to achieve some random velocity goal. Next, ignore about the only pressure sign you'll get before kaboom and then ask if it is safe.

You move to slower powders for more velocity and to faster powders for less velocity/increased controllability.

14 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

But without a chrono, you're really just guessing, right?

Yes, as I said, I am just a plain simple guy who enjoys shooting and rolling my own ammo, don't compete. Using the data that are provided. I do have a chrono somewhere, but it is always a pita to set up in a public range with a lot of others around

On 2/8/2021 at 6:32 PM, thehudge said:

Q: Does this sound safe to Y'all?  I can't find any information that says this is a safe load. but I like it.

Seriously? Have you looked at any reloading manuals, or online reloading info? Everyone would show this load is above max.

And just guessing here, you're testing your loads in cold weather, based on your location. Titegroup significantly looses velocity and pressure in cold weather. Shoot those loads in the heat of Summer, and let us know if you still have your hands.

Edited by Postal Bob

Thanks for all replies and rebukes. I will take heed of the warnings. And yes I have loading manuals but decided to venture a bit.  I have loaded 125 and 115gr to USPSA major with no issues using Winchester Auto Comp which is a bit of a venture in itself.

And that's why I asked.

Thanks  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 6:56 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: WAC will work fine with your 115's. I have loaded thousands of them for my open pistol. I am not sure why you want it that hot though? Thanks, Eric

Eric, any chance you can share your starting load with WAC and 115’s? I have a boat load of WAC and PD 115’s that I would like to run major out of my PT Honcho. Thanks in advance 

Hello, using 115 grain JHP Montana Golds and loaded to 1.170" OAL with Winchester small rifle primers I was using 7.4 grains of Auto Comp giving me 170-171PF out of a Schuemann 1:32 twist 5.5" barrel with my comp. I would start at 7.0 grains and chrono to see what you get. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 10:08 PM, noylj said:

Let's take a very fast and hot burning powder, known for pressure spikes, and let's overload it to achieve some random velocity goal. Next, ignore about the only pressure sign you'll get before kaboom and then ask if it is safe.

You move to slower powders for more velocity and to faster powders for less velocity/increased controllability.

LOL