Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Gen 5 adventure.

Aircooled6racer

Hello, just an update. Accuracy is getting better so I am guessing that the clearance of the frame rubbing on the slide has helped. It does like plated bullets a little more than the coated ones I have tried. I have been testing recoil spring setups with my reloads. I am trying ISMI and Wolff springs to see what I prefer. Guide rods are Jager hardened steel captured ones (ISMI and Wolff), Jentra tungsten G34 I cut for the G17 and the Glock Store Double Diamond tungsten 34 model I cut back for the 17. I did have to make a bushing for the Double Diamond since it is a smaller diameter rod for the ISMI springs. 

I am using my 7 yard drill for the testing. For me 7 yards is the furthest I can shoot doubles at hyper speed and still see the hits( I know I need glasses). I am using 115, 124, 125, 135 loads at 130-134PF. So far I am liking the 115 and 135 loads. 13lb ISMI on the Jager captured steel guide rod. 12lb Wolff spring on the cut down Jentra tungsten guide rod. These both gave me at most a 2" spread at the 7 yard distance. Some where only a 1/2" apart. 

I will be testing some more next week to see what combo I like best. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents, I hate to break it to you but this is some barrel testing with a Glock 17, Gen 5 barrel that had 364 rounds on it. This is from a barrel fixture so in a gun there will be some deviation but this shows the true potential of the Gen 5 barrels. In short, the barrels shoot great and are not the problem.

10 rounds, 25 yards, Atlanta Arms and Ammo 115 grain match. 1.3" group.

20210411_122748.jpg

Hello, holding the barrel in a fixture does not test the true accuracy of the pistol. I am not the only one having this problem with Gen 5 Glock 17's. The Glock 34 and G45(9mm) have been great right out of the box. Another thing is that not all of the G17's are doing this just some of them. My second G17 gen 5 was good right from the start but the slide was not rubbing the frame on the side. It rubs the frame right in the center. I will keep shooting the stock barrels for another 2000-5000 rounds and see what happens. Thanks, Eric

I agree, it is not like testing in the gun but I like it because it eliminates all of the variables and shows true potential of the barrel itself which is important for load testing. If it shoots poorly in the fixture its not going to get better in the gun.

I've tested a bunch of Glock barrels and in my experience premium fuel (proven match loads) makes the biggest difference of all factors when it comes to accuracy out of any barrel. When I say match loads, I mean those using jacketed match bullets. Nothing else (plated, coated, cast) comes close. I've had some terrific groups with plated, coated, etc. but sooner or later there is always some kind of flyer or anomaly. Nothing is as consistent as a jacketed premium bullet. 

I've had best luck with Zero and Hornaday HAP. Sierra and Nosler have also been excellent but are much more expensive. I'm sure there are other out there.

Edited by 9X23Guy
Grammar

Well I just finished the Tom Givens 3 day Instructor Development Course and shot 100% on the two shooting quals at the end, the only one in my class to do so, with my 17 gen 5.

I have never said I was a good group shooter or a Glock expert. Just that when I bought this pistol I couldn't do with it what I do with other pistols using same ammo and shooting tests.

Over the course of the past month I have definitely improved my ability to grip the gun and manipulate the trigger in a way that really helped my accuracy with the gun.

My gun has Warren/Sevigney sights, KKM barrel, Timney Alpha trigger and a Jagger steel guide rod with Wolff 14# spring.

My best accuracy was with a 147gr, round nose, jacketed bullet going 920 fps. I will now try the stock barrel again since my class is over as I would appreciate not having to case gauge ammo as much, the KKM definitely not feeding things the stock barrel would.

Hello, some more testing today with the G17. I tried some plated bullets that are 115's and 124's. I also tried different power factors from 125 up to 140PF. The barrel likes them on the hotter side. The sweet spot seems to be around 135PF with the 124's. At 18 yards I could hold a 3" group offhand pretty easily. 115's were a little more spread out at around 4"-5". Remember I am not a bulls eye type shooter. I will test some coated bullets next week and see how that goes. Thanks, Eric

• 1 year later...
On 2/5/2021 at 4:39 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

The problem I am having right now is accuracy at 25 yards or more.

IMG_4649.jpg

Sorry, I know this post is a little old. But I just got back from the range with my new Glock 17 Gen 5. Mine is just the regular 17, but was completely impressed and pleasantly surprised with the accuracy.

Only thing I added or changed on my gun was I put $32 Trijicon steel white dot sights, and a Overwatch Precision Trigger Flat Shoe(just the shoe only, all internals are OEM)

I reload, and run RMR 115 gr FMJ’s with a 1.120 OAL with 5.2gr of Vihtavuori N340. This load was not only insanely accurate in my G17 Gen 5, but all my 9mm’s across the board. Vihtavuori N340 is just an amazing powder period. I also use it for 40 S&W with the same results. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 12:53 PM, damon32382 said:

Sorry, I know this post is a little old. But I just got back from the range with my new Glock 17 Gen 5. Mine is just the regular 17, but was completely impressed and pleasantly surprised with the accuracy.

Only thing I added or changed on my gun was I put $32 Trijicon steel white dot sights, and a Overwatch Precision Trigger Flat Shoe(just the shoe only, all internals are OEM)

I reload, and run RMR 115 gr FMJ’s with a 1.120 OAL with 5.2gr of Vihtavuori N340. This load was not only insanely accurate in my G17 Gen 5, but all my 9mm’s across the board. Vihtavuori N340 is just an amazing powder period. I also use it for 40 S&W with the same results. 

I've found N340 to be my go-to for 9mm as well. 4.9 gr VV N340 with a 124 gr PD JHP is a great load for me that is very accurate and soft shooting.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:53 PM, damon32382 said:

• 2 weeks later...