Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a new rig

tnoble

Sold my rig years ago when they made 8 holes legal. Seemed like it made my 625 obsolete overnight so I stopped shooting revolver. Anyway, got a new 8 hole and wanted to start playing around again in revolver division so I need another rig.  Not sure what to go with now, Had the North Mountain set up which was fine and have know problem going back to that set up. But these magnetic holders have caught my attention, Speed Beez, Double Alpha, or Speed E rack....maybe there are others that I'm missing? Saw that moon server system but think I want to stick with some kind of post setup.  They seem to all be priced about the same, Double Alpha at the high end...anything I should stay away from. Wouldn't be apposed to a used setup if someone upgraded and wants to get rid of there old rig.

Thanks, T

I use a Bladetech holster with a Speede rack moon holder. No complaints, never had a moon fall off the rack. My only beef with the Bladetech is screws came loose after one season. Bought some spares and loctighted and no issues since. The issue on holsters is finding one in stock. The number of wheel gunners is shrinking and the holster companies can’t justify the investment in inventory. The owner of Red Hill Tachtical is a revo shooter but says he won’t make holsters for them. You might have to settle for what you can find.

Blade tech doesn’t even list a holster for N frames anymore. Looks like comp tac or speed beez is the only option and I think SB is just a rebranded comp tac. Not to make this political but if our new administration gets there way revolver might make a huge comeback. 

58 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

I use a Bladetech holster with a Speede rack moon holder. No complaints, never had a moon fall off the rack. My only beef with the Bladetech is screws came loose after one season. Bought some spares and loctighted and no issues since. The issue on holsters is finding one in stock. The number of wheel gunners is shrinking and the holster companies can’t justify the investment in inventory. The owner of Red Hill Tachtical is a revo shooter but says he won’t make holsters for them. You might have to settle for what you can find.

My rig is a speed-beez (Comp-tac) for my revolver holster.  I tried double alpha holster, but it was picky about which gun I used, and some holstered "safer" than others.  Nothing says confidence like being unable holster the gun after a stage while people look at you like you are nots.

I use Double Alpha moonclip holders... does create a few issues

#1    6 vs 8 specific.   I have two belts, one for my 6 shooters, and one for my 8

#2    Length specific.    the 8 shot, will hold 9mm, 38 shorts through Specials,  the 6 shot will hold .45acp, 44 russian, and 10 mm, it won't hold 44 specials

#3    Cost is more, especially if you setup two belts.

#4    Different moons have different carbon content making them more magnetic.  Blue steel moons are held A LOT firmer than stainless (I prefer stainless)

#5    if you have dunlap syndrom (I'm recovering from this) they can be a little close to the body.  I get around this by mounting them left of my navel and working around to the left (I load weak handed)

That being said.   I'm very happy with them, they hold the moons firmly, easy to load during a "all moons on the barrel" stage.  holds the moonclips in the same position, so when you reach down, you know you are going to index the moonclips in the same way every time.

I have tried the speed beez rack and the north mountain. but I'll stick with the Double Alpha 

I have a SpeedBeez 8-clip rack, which is fine. I think it probably holds a bit too tight on blued steel clips—sometimes they get a little more stuck than I like.

I also have a SpeedBeez holster which I ran last year. No serious complaints about it, although I did switch to a DAA holster for this year (for the race gun cred, and because it's slightly easier for me to find a good index point for my hand that leads to a good draw).

Moon Clip Holders, I've tried everything but the rack server and the magnetic posts, but used the Speed E Rack (sold by the Aysens) which had O-rings instead of magnets and worked the same for handling/speed.  My choice was the North Mountain 4 or 5 post rack.  Can get 2 moon clips on each post and never found any appreciable difference in speed.  Invariably me fumbling/lack of focus caused my times to slow not the rack.  And just feel the versatility of the NM trumped everything else.

Holsters have tried CR Speed, DAA Racer, Blade Tech and Safariland 002.  

Settled on the Blade Tech (Speedbeez would be even better as I cut down the Blade Tech to match that form, before they were even made) and the DAA Racer.

The Racer is a slight bit faster and once I "adjusted" the top edge of the block it is easier to seat the revolver (it is listed for a 625 and mine fits it perfectly but a 627 had to be forced in to lock turns out there is a slight difference in the radius forward of the trigger guard between the two) but the BT/Speedbeez are more secure.  For USPSA/ICORE I'd not lose sleep over the Speedbeez, though I do like my Revolver holsters to have a forward rake and closer to an appendix carry and not sure if Speedbeez has those adjustments.  My BT was a Drop Offset and I took off the Drop and had enough adjustment to give me the rake I like.

Both will accept different barrel lengths, I have a 5" 627PC (USPSA/ICORE LTD), a 4" 627Pro w/dot (ICORE Open), a 5" 625PC (ICORE L6/USPSA Major?) and a M29-3 4" cut for moon clips (started USPSA with it) and all work with both holsters though the M29 is a little looser in the DAA.  Combined with the above NM holder one rig works for all.

The Speedbeez is a little more than half of the DAA Racer.

I use a custom kydex holster by Chris Stewart, and I have been using a Mag-na-Rack by Tai Johnson for over 10 years, and it is perfect!

My son uses a Comp Tac (Speed Beez) holster.  You could also use Hogue moon clip holders The Hold-All https://www.hogueinc.com/competition/ammo-holders/holdall-universal-moon-clip-holder-black-pack-of-four  They are light weight, fast, and they work really well.

It looks like Speed Beez has the exact same rack that Tai Johnson makes (or made?).  https://www.speedbeez.com/product/tek-lok-627-moon-clip-belt-rack-8-post-fits-smith-and-wesson-627-929-9mm-2/  I wonder if he sold them the rights?  The belt clips are a nice feature when you want to go prone and remove the rack quickly.  That's what I always do for the 50 yard line of Far and Near Standards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 12:46 AM, S&W627shooter said:

It looks like Speed Beez has the exact same rack that Tai Johnson makes (or made?).  https://www.speedbeez.com/product/tek-lok-627-moon-clip-belt-rack-8-post-fits-smith-and-wesson-627-929-9mm-2/  I wonder if he sold them the rights?  

Speed Beez has never bothered to purchase the rights to the products it copies.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, Carmoney said:

Speed Beez has never bothered to purchase the rights to the products it copies.  

This is one reason I plan to NEVER buy ANYTHING from Speed Beez--Didn't know they had "Hosed" anybody other than Dave Skrzela, but it doesn't surprise me one bit--SMDH-- :(

Edited by mikey357

On 2/4/2021 at 8:51 PM, KEE said:

I’m running the ultimate ghost with the revolver supply posts.

Which Ghost model fits the N frames? They don't list it for any of the ones I looked at.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:20 PM, regor said:

Which Ghost model fits the N frames? They don't list it for any of the ones I looked at.

It’s the Ultimate Ghost for revolvers. Got it from double alpha in their bargain bin as there doesn’t seem to be much call for left hand holsters. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, varminter22 said:

Here's a vote for James Austin's Moon Clip Server.  Been using one for five or six years and love it.  

I used one when I first started shooting revolver.

It was the coolest thing in the world, until I had a "pickup" stage where I had to load about 6 moon clips on my belt while on the clock.

I ordered a North Mountain post holder the next day.

3 hours ago, alecmc said:

I used one when I first started shooting revolver.

It was the coolest thing in the world, until I had a "pickup" stage where I had to load about 6 moon clips on my belt while on the clock.

I ordered a North Mountain post holder the next day.

You need an auxiliary moon system to the rear for prone stages anyway. I have a couple kydex post holders behind my right hip.