Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what was done at SUPS Utah?

• 1 month later...

So I’m on the SUPS board and have been involved in the reconstruction process since the beginning. 

The county shut the range down in March 2020 for complete reconstruction to address some reported safety issues regarding rounds ending up over the mountain (a highly dubious allegation).  The county did the design and contracted the work without any input from the SUPS board even though we repeatedly approached them with design input. 

As a result, all the berms were leveled and rebuilt so all shooting angles are now 180 degrees away from that ridge line.  Also, the berms were built to ridiculous proportions (height). The bays are now very narrow and in some cases quite shallow. Some bay have significant downhill tilt (big safety trip hazard).

SUPS was able to restart our local matches as of mid January 2021. Fortunately the county is now listening to our feedback regarding how they’ve mess up the range. They have stated they will make some berm changes per our requirements to host effective matches including level 2 or 3 matches. We do recognize that fixing the berms will take time and budget from the county. We (SUPS board) believe the fixes will happen but we don’t know when. 

We currently have 30ish bays available so once we are able to get the berms fixed we hope to return matches like Berry’s Steel Open and Uspsa major matches. 

In the meantime, if you are visiting the SW Utah area please come by and shoot one of our local matches:

USPSA - 1st and 3rd Saturday and Sunday 9am
Steel Challenge - 2nd and 4th Friday 2:30-4:30pm

Tuesday night Steel - every Tuesday 3-6pm 

Let me know if you have any further or more specific questions. 

Edited by TeedOff
More details.

On 3/30/2021 at 6:18 PM, TeedOff said:

So I’m on the SUPS board and have been involved in the reconstruction process since the beginning. 

The county shut the range down in March 2020 for complete reconstruction to address some reported safety issues regarding rounds ending up over the mountain (a highly dubious allegation).  The county did the design and contracted the work without any input from the SUPS board even though we repeatedly approached them with design input. 

As a result, all the berms were leveled and rebuilt so all shooting angles are now 180 degrees away from that ridge line.  Also, the berms were built to ridiculous proportions (height). The bays are now very narrow and in some cases quite shallow. Some bay have significant downhill tilt (big safety trip hazard).

SUPS was able to restart our local matches as of mid January 2021. Fortunately the county is now listening to our feedback regarding how they’ve mess up the range. They have stated they will make some berm changes per our requirements to host effective matches including level 2 or 3 matches. We do recognize that fixing the berms will take time and budget from the county. We (SUPS board) believe the fixes will happen but we don’t know when. 

We currently have 30ish bays available so once we are able to get the berms fixed we hope to return matches like Berry’s Steel Open and Uspsa major matches. 

In the meantime, if you are visiting the SW Utah area please come by and shoot one of our local matches:

USPSA - 1st and 3rd Saturday and Sunday 9am
Steel Challenge - 2nd and 4th Friday 2:30-4:30pm

Tuesday night Steel - every Tuesday 3-6pm 

Let me know if you have any further or more specific questions. 

thanks for the info.  i hope they get it done quick so SUPS ,if they wish to , can do A1 and Nats again.  

On 4/2/2021 at 11:51 PM, Sandbagger123 said:

thanks for the info.  i hope they get it done quick so SUPS ,if they wish to , can do A1 and Nats again.  

That conversation has happened with our board and we are doing everything possible to make major matches possible as soon as we feel that the range and the shooting challenges we can present meet up to the expectations shooters have of matches at SUPS.

I also know that the county wants to see large matches come back to our range...that’s why the invested like they did, although they could have invested smarter by listening to people who, you know, actually shoot and run large matches. But that’s water under the bridge at this point.