Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rearranging belt....how many mag pouches?

BigBamBoo

I have two belts setup for my open guns. Currently I have four mag pouches on each of them. I rarely utilize all four of the pouches and and thinking of just using three.

I do have magnets on each belt as will. One I have on the front of my mag pouch that is closest to the holster and the other is a belt mounted one that is off of my left hip.

Any input on how and way would be appreciated.

My MO is four holders for all belts. In limited and CO, I use the far back one for make ready. In production, I’ll have the make ready in hand or back pocket. The exception is Revo where I use a 7 moon rack! My philosophy in hi-cap is to come to the line fully loaded in case of dropped or fussy mags. Last month I approached an el Prez with four mags.

Hello, for local matches I only use 2 mag pouches. I somtimes I add a magnet if there will be a mag on table etc. Two mag holders and put the start mag in my pocket. Less weight on the belt the better. I use one big stick and two 140 mags which gives me plenty of rounds for any USPSA stage. For limited and CO I use 3 mag holders but rarely use the 3rd one unless it is an unloaded start. Thanks, Eric

3 pouches plus a magnet mounted to the front pouch on my open rig. 

Starter mag in the furthest back, spare 170 in the next, and 140 in the front usually. Unless stage plan dictates loading to a 170 fairly quick then it’s alllll big sticks. 

3 pouches on my CO rig as well for what it’s worth. 

I have 4 on my open/limited belt with magnet on the front mag holder. I usually only use 3 but if I need the extra I have it. Sometimes there is 2 short stages in

the same bay and you shoot 1 and move right to the next one hot. Nice to know I am good with mags.

I started in Limited with three, so I kept it for Open.  I have had occasion to use all three, plus one in my pocket for the scenarios sauza45 mentions.  I recently added a magnet and cover in front of my first pouch.  There have been more and more mags on the table starts.  The DAA magnet is super strong, more than is really required.  I added their cover and it is now perfect.  I run one 170 and two 155s.  For normal stages I only ever need two mags, but the third is there for insurance.  The peace of mind is worth the extra weight.  

I run three with a magnet on the first one. For stages without a reload I usually just grab a big stick from the back pouch and run two 140s in the front two. If I'm going to need a reload I usually put a second big stick on the magnet and start from that, same process with unloaded starts. Other than multi-string COFs I don't think I've ever had to go to the third pouch in 30+ matches shooting open. 

Three pouches + magnet at 12o'clock. 170mm mags all around. Magnet's used primarily to index my belt location, and to look cool at "unload, show clear". I run identical mags because I'm too lazy to practice with different ones.

three pouches + magnet at 12 o clock, 170 mag to start and two 155s to reload to

i dont bulley load, so i start with 29 

thats plenty for lots of stages and if i need to reload its to a 26 rd 155

thats always enough to finish any stage

the last 155 is in case i miss a reload or something happens where i need to drop a mag

3 Pouches, magnet at 12 o'clock. Pull the big stick off the magnet to Make Ready, then 2 140's in the pouches. Very rarely every use the 3rd pouch, but it's there. Mags off the barrel, I grab 2, one goes on the magnet, other in the gun. Then unloading after COF, I slap the finished mag on the magnet. 

Like a lot of guys I rise 3 mag pouches with a magnet up front.  The magnet really helps to center my belt and put it in the right position.  

Im pretty sure I’ve only needed to use all three mag pouches exactly one time, and it was during a classifier.  The rest of the time, that third mag pouch just holds a roll of pasters.

Mine has two in the front at 11 and 1 o'clock and two at 9 o'clock.  The ones at 9 are for my top off mag and LAMR.  I prefer having the mag pouches vs throwing mags in my pockets, plus I had extras, after switching mag pouch brands.  I also have a magnet on a belt clip at 10 o'clock, as a trial.  None of the matches I've shot here have had table starts, at this point.

12 hours ago, MikeyScuba said:

I’m just in the process of setting up my open rig.  Switching from my limited setu, just moving things around.  I have 5  DAA delux mag pouches.  Being stuck with 10 round mags is just the way things are up here.

Being in Hawaii, I also run 5 pouches with a magnet up front, I remember a total dumpster fire of a stage where I ran out of mag

2 hours ago, rishii said:

Being in Hawaii, I also run 5 pouches with a magnet up front, I remember a total dumpster fire of a stage where I ran out of mag

I have one of the large circle magnets on the back for the stripper mag (canuk speak) aka barney mag (yankee speak).  Think I'll keep it there as that's what I'm used to.  The DAA deluxe ones are already magnetic so table starts won't be an issue.  Don't see them used too often though.  I even got CZ mags to work with them.  Bullets out and use only the top half of one magnet.  Those non-stainless mags sure stick TOO well. 

I like to go full "rabid squirrel mode" when appropriate and the stainless 2011 mags don't come off.

daa_deluxe_mag_pouch_a.jpg

On 2/5/2021 at 3:52 AM, zdali said:

Three pouches + magnet at 12o'clock. 170mm mags all around. Magnet's used primarily to index my belt location, and to look cool at "unload, show clear". I run identical mags because I'm too lazy to practice with different ones.

This is the same set up I run for both Open and Limited. 

• 2 weeks later...

3 and a magnet. I like the idea of having enough mags that I can always have a spare and hopefully never have to use it. If the start mag from my magnet fails, I grab from the first pouch. May still have to do a reload in the stage so after grabbing from the second pouch, I still have the third just in case.