Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 question about the rebound spring pin?

ysrracer

I'm not a gunsmither. In fact I can't even spell it.

On my 617 there was/is a pin inside the rebound spring, inside the trigger rebound slide. None of my other S&W revo's have this.

Is it something that's needed? Is it factory?

15 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I'm not a gunsmither. In fact I can't even spell it.

On my 617 there was/is a pin inside the rebound spring, inside the trigger rebound slide. None of my other S&W revo's have this.

Is it something that's needed? Is it factory?

That pin is in most guns from the factory, I think they use it as a over travel stop but it doesn't seem to do much. 

31 minutes ago, underlug said:

It is a trigger stop.  Not needed

I can remember only one S&W Revolver that had it.  I think it was the M29-3?

Pulled it.  The 625PC had a non-adjustable exterior stop.  And at one point I put an adjustable stop into the trigger of the M29-3 and 625PC.  After years of playing with them I took them out.  Never even thought of them for the 627's.  

The only real advantage was being able to shorten the stroke so it couldn't be cocked SA.  Along with the spur taken off of the 625 hammer. 

Now I put that spur less hammer on my 325 TR for EDC, with no trigger stop.  And all my competition guns, 627PC, 627PRO (W/Dot), 625PC, M29-3 (backup/IDPA) and Ruger GP100 (6 shot) all have the spurs intact and no trigger stops.  

I really never found an advantage with the stops (all of the wayward shots are me) and the spurs don't get in my way and I like the weight of the actions are where I like them.

The trigger stop rod in most S&W revolvers is usually too short to be of much help anyway.  Also, using the rebound stud as a trigger stop anchor point puts lots of pressure on the stud that it really doesn't need.

Some folks have had problems with loose/broken studs (rebound and others) so reducing the pressure on the rebound stud is probably a good idea. 

On my 625 PC, the stop installed on the back of the trigger bow is so poorly fitted (much too short) that it never gets close to functioning as a trigger stop and it's not adjustable. (Ha! I can fix that without much effort.)

AS pskys2 posted, most of the time it's the shooter.........Maybe in the old days when revolvers ruled NRA Bullseye, a trigger stop would have been helpful for deliberate single action work.