Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex 10 and other Mark 7 goodies

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The price point does not make much sense.  Especially when looking at the pictures and video they have on the web site showing the press and tool head.  The finish machining on the press and tool head look like very little time and effort went in to it.  Think they took a big step backwards in their quality based on how it looks.

23 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Looks a lot like FA 10 only more expensive.

I think you mean the FA FX-10 looks a lot like this, lol. The FA machine looks cool, but I'm not ready to beta test their stuff given previous design whiffs.

6 minutes ago, MNJoel said:

Hideous machining (grinding marks)... new powder check in this photo?

I am 99% sure this was filmed on a pre-production model. I would excuse the marks until the production model pics are taken, personally, but I understand the concern.

That pic has nothing in the bullet feeder station or powder check station. What you are seeing is the mechanical powder measure.

Best way to think of this is an upgraded Evo. You get a new priming system that has no shuttle, instead it has an oscillating disc that is directly upgradeable to the Primer Xpress primer feeder. You get a second guide rod for more stability with rifle cases. And you will most likely see decreased production time due to it being easier to produce.

As far as I can tell, you are not losing any features, only gaining, with the Apex-10 compared to the Evo.

Shooters Connection has these, as well as the Primer Xpress, on order at this time. Looking forward to getting them out there to the public.

For the cast version might as well just get the 1100, and save a thousand.  I bought 2 EVO's last year (CNC) when I heard they were in process of doing the cast.  On a side note probably a good time to pic up an extra head if they're still CNC,  I'm sure they'll be a premium down the road used over the cast head.  Did anyone beta test the primer express?  If they're good to go, I'll sell the RF100 and get a couple..

8 hours ago, Oldhand said:

For the cast version might as well just get the 1100, and save a thousand.  I bought 2 EVO's last year (CNC) when I heard they were in process of doing the cast.  On a side note probably a good time to pic up an extra head if they're still CNC,  I'm sure they'll be a premium down the road used over the cast head.  Did anyone beta test the primer express?  If they're good to go, I'll sell the RF100 and get a couple..

Both the Evo and the Apex are CNC. The Evo is from billet aluminum, the Apex from cast iron. Both are CNC. The Apex is a one piece core and top plate, while the Evo is a separate top plate and core. There will be no more concerns about core alignment with the Apex with the one piece core/top plate.

Also, the Apex should be easier/smoother to produce, which means much shorter production time (assumed). M7 is under unprecedented demand right now, and this is going to help get presses out the door.

33 minutes ago, Oldhand said:

It's still Cast vs Billet  "I only want cast parts on my gun-motorcycle-anything" said no one ever. 

I'll consider the 1100 an equivalent competitor when it has 10 stations and doesn't void my warranty with automation. It's a great press for most people, but there are things the Mark7 can do that it just does not do as well (or at all). "Cast CNC or 100% billet CNC" is not the only determinant of value with a reloading press, and given how well my other cast presses are holding up, seems like a distinction without a lot of practical application. The Apex really does have a couple design changes that should make it more reliable (or at least simpler) than the Evolution.

Mark7 has also confirmed they're going to keep making the Evo+Autodrive for international markets, so I don't think Evo support down the line is going to be a problem.

Edited by erwos

I think there is a confusion on what "cast iron" is. This is an alloy of iron and carbon with more carbon than what you would see in mild steel. It is what many reliable engine blocks are made of. The word "cast" in this case does not have anything to do with the fabrication process. Alloys of carbon and iron typically have a saturated fatigue curve, whereas many aluminum alloys have a fatigue curve that never saturates, and the metal just keeps getting weaker until it breaks. I think the mark Vii page on this product says it is manufactured by milling.

oh noes, sprue marks on the toolhead, the horror (looks at his 1050 toolheads and sees the same). 

I see a nice market for people to offer customization to toolheads, nice finishing services, maybe chrome plating. 

I am getting PTSD flashbacks to my time in the feed plant and having to clean the shaker decks from our pellet mills. they operate exactly the same as the new Primer Express, although I think after looking at it, that it won't jam and plug up like our shaker decks did. 

On 2/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, Malibu13 said:

The price point does not make much sense.  Especially when looking at the pictures and video they have on the web site showing the press and tool head.  The finish machining on the press and tool head look like very little time and effort went in to it.  Think they took a big step backwards in their quality based on how it looks.

This is what bigger businesses do to smaller ones when the gobble them up. Lower quality with equal or higher prices.

Not a fan.

On 2/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, erwos said:

Mark7 has also confirmed they're going to keep making the Evo+Autodrive for international markets, so I don't think Evo support down the line is going to be a problem.

I do not understand this decision.  Why make the EVO available to international markets, but exclude the US?  To what means?

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I do not understand this decision.  Why make the EVO available to international markets, but exclude the US?  To what means?

ITAR is the reason. The Evo plus autodrive is approved for export. The Apex-10 is not, yet.

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

One has to wonder.  They look very similar for certain.

The Apex-10 has been in development for over a year. And Mark 7 has been in business for what, 6+ years now? I highly, highly, highly doubt they were aware, or cared, about what FA is doing. Only so many ways to make a progressive press.

'' I do not understand this decision.  Why make the EVO available to international markets, but exclude the US?  To what means? ''

I think that this press will be reserved for the professional, the private individual will be obliged to order from the importer in Europe DAA there will be no other choice than APEX 10