Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik SFx dedicated Open/LTD for Steel

bigdawgbeav

So I'm not done building this yet, but right now I'm close... built out this Canik TP9SFx to be dedicated for Open and Limited in Steel Challenge.  To make it Limited I just have to remove the optic mount and the plate with the slider racker.  Then put in the plate with the rear sight.  I opted to swap out my irons with Dawson sights (M&P in the front and Glock fully adjustable in the rear).  Right now the rail mount is some cheap Chinese mount, but it has a low height and is almost touching the slide.  In fact I had to modify the mount as my front sight was too tall.  It ain't pretty, but functional.  I heard a rumor that Carver Custom is working on an under-rail universal mount that will take direct mounting of the Holosun 510c, which should help with weight.  

You might ask why the thumb ledge is modified... I did that when I was experimenting a year ago with a different rail mount and had to cut the ledge a little to make it fit.  Guess I should get another one of them... 

canikresize1.jpg

canikresize3.jpg

canikresize2.jpg

Edited by bigdawgbeav

15 hours ago, Ben53 said:

Interesting!  I sort of like the looks of that!  Looks like Canik is getting more and more popular... and aftermarket parts growing more plentiful.  I have a TP9SFx I use in Carry Optic.

I have a 2nd one that I'm going to leave for CO/Prod.  That's kind of what I like about the Canik is the versatility for Steel Challenge.  As of right now I'm shooting LTD and PROD for the World Speed Shoot, but I'm thinking to take this new Open build and then use my 2nd Canik for Limited.  I keep flip-flopping on what I'm going to do in April.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, lroy said:

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you holster this? I know Race rigs hold it by the trigger guard, but might sits flush with the frame.

I have the DoubleAlpha Alpha-X.  I had to modify the insert to fit the under-rail mount a little better.  The insert is just polymer, so I sanded it down to make it fit.  Didn't have to touch the holster body at all, just the insert.

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:46 PM, bigdawgbeav said:

So I'm not done building this yet, but right now I'm close... built out this Canik TP9SFx to be dedicated for Open and Limited in Steel Challenge.  To make it Limited I just have to remove the optic mount and the plate with the slider racker.  Then put in the plate with the rear sight.  I opted to swap out my irons with Dawson sights (M&P in the front and Glock fully adjustable in the rear).  Right now the rail mount is some cheap Chinese mount, but it has a low height and is almost touching the slide.  In fact I had to modify the mount as my front sight was too tall.  It ain't pretty, but functional.  I heard a rumor that Carver Custom is working on an under-rail universal mount that will take direct mounting of the Holosun 510c, which should help with weight.  

You might ask why the thumb ledge is modified... I did that when I was experimenting a year ago with a different rail mount and had to cut the ledge a little to make it fit.  Guess I should get another one of them... 

canikresize1.jpg

canikresize3.jpg

canikresize2.jpg

Shooting it in Open, keep an eye on the slide for cracks.  I remember all the Glock 34's in Open cracking slides (maybe cuz the cutout) and Nagel ended up building all of Team Glocks Open guns on Glock 17's