Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR-9 ejection pattern for tuning?

I know that a properly "tuned" AR 10 and 15 throws empties between 3 and 4 o'clock and I was curious if a properly tuned AR-9 should do the same thing with the correct balance of recoil spring, buffer and ammo.....

My current AR-9's throw empties at around 2 o'clock......

I don't see how changing the recoil spring, buffer and ammo would change the ejection pattern.  My PCC throws empties out at 4 o'clock, regardless of settings.  When the spring and buffer are set up for 132PF ammo, 109PF just dribbles out at 4, and 145PF ammo goes 7-8' at 4.

Interesting-I was thinking that bolt speed would be the determining factor as to the "direction" that the empties would be thrown from the rifle.  I do need to add that the rifles are 100% reliable-I was just assuming that the ejection pattern would illustrate the same "issues" with both rifles.  In the AR15 it has to do with bolt speed so I assumed it would be the same for the 9mm.....

I was thinking that some more "tuning" would smooth out the guns and improve my split times.........

You have ejector and extractor in your PCC and should be able tune ejector just like 2011s. But why would you.

Nevermind, most of the PCC don't have ejector. Ejector is on the lower, had to double check.

Edited by jerseyglock
28 minutes ago, copterdrvr said:

I was thinking that some more "tuning" would smooth out the guns and improve my split times.........

It very well might.  I get my fastest ACCURATE splits with a 147 @ 985fps.  I can put rounds right on top of each other at 25 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger.  Anything slower and I get dot bounce and slower splits.  I'm working on a combination that will do the same at 132PF.  So far no luck.

BTW, my Leadstar Prime PCC has an external 5.56 style ejector.

Edited by zzt
On 2/1/2021 at 12:45 PM, zzt said:

It very well might.  I get my fastest ACCURATE splits with a 147 @ 985fps.  I can put rounds right on top of each other at 25 yards as fast as I can pull the trigger.  Anything slower and I get dot bounce and slower splits.  I'm working on a combination that will do the same at 132PF.  So far no luck.

BTW, my Leadstar Prime PCC has an external 5.56 style ejector.

What recoil spring and buffer are you using????

7 minutes ago, copterdrvr said:

What recoil spring and buffer are you using????

Blitzkrieg standard hydraulic buffer with the Blitzkrieg 2 oz. slug/short stroke adapter and a 5.56 carbine spring.  I've also used the .308 carbine spring.  I think I like the 5.56 a tad better.  The 3 oz. weight is still in the bolt.

16 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

Did you put the Blitzkrieg weight at the front of the recoil assembly or did you put it at the bottom? I have he HD Blitzkrieg buffer installed in my AR's.

I put it in front of the buffer as recommended by Blitzkrieg.

14 hours ago, fedupflyer said:

Why do folks get hung up on the ejection pattern?

If it ejects reliably and runs with a low recoil impulse...good enough.

Ar9 blowback ejection doesn’t matter if it’s reliable. Ar15 ejection is dependent on the gas, before 3 oclock not enough gas after 4 o’clock to much gas. Not enough gas isn’t optimal because you can get a undercharge and stovepipe. Too much gas is reliable but batters the gun and internals.... allegedly 

Yeah, that's a little confusing....... we all know that a gas driven should chuck them about 4 o'clock.... with your response I don't know if you're giving examples for AR15's or AR9's but thanks anyway as I know were AR 15's should eject-the question is AR9's.....